View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Your opinions on two large breed dogs living in a flat and left alone at least 12 hrs

It has come to my attention that my cousins next door neighbour has two dogs in his pokey flat, look like crosses, lab/GSD size no garden and he works 12-14hours a day! My cousin was telling me this after she had spoken to him when she moved in next door, she went to complain because they were making some noise and she has a baby, she waited all day for him to return and when he did he was nice and apologised and explained that he has to work long hours etc etc Basically gave her his life story, had his dogs both from pups they are the same age and from what she can tell not very trained at all. She said she has seen him walk them early in the morning or sometimes late at night but they are still in doors on there own for more than 12 hours a day and not very old either, she isn't a dog person but she thinks they act and look about 1 or 2, just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of this, I had Zuki in a flat for a while while we were waiting to buy this house but it had a shared garden, so I am not against having dogs in flats, but this flat is the same as my cousins and its tiny, cant even fit a double bed in the main bedroom
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
It has come to my attention that my cousins next door neighbour has two dogs in his pokey flat, look like crosses, lab/GSD size no garden and he works 12-14hours a day! My cousin was telling me this after she had spoken to him when she moved in next door, she went to complain because they were making some noise and she has a baby, she waited all day for him to return and when he did he was nice and apologised and explained that he has to work long hours etc etc Basically gave her his life story, had his dogs both from pups they are the same age and from what she can tell not very trained at all. She said she has seen him walk them early in the morning or sometimes late at night but they are still in doors on there own for more than 12 hours a day and not very old either, she isn't a dog person but she thinks they act and look about 1 or 2, just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of this, I had Zuki in a flat for a while while we were waiting to buy this house but it had a shared garden, so I am not against having dogs in flats, but this flat is the same as my cousins and its tiny, cant even fit a double bed in the main bedroom
I think it would depend on the dogs themselves and the time they where given which isn't always about walks it can also be about training - but if he is out for 12 hours a day and they dont' have a garden and they are true to the 2 breeds they are crossed with then i don't think it would be too big a leap to say they were downright miserable
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I would have thought they would be wrecking his house throught sheer boredom!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Maybe consider a dog walker during his absence ?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I have 3 big dogs who are stuck in while I am at work .... our house is probably bigger than the flat but I leave them in the kitchen / dining room which isn't huge .... my neighbours might think I am cruel ... but then they aren't up at half 5 to see us go out for a big long walk or cycle ride before work and they don't see the bones. Kongs and toys they are left with and don't realise that the dogs have over an hours run each night and dog club most evenings .... No I am NOT out for 11 hours, but I do leave the dogs while I am at home ....

I would assume that the neighbour must have some provision made for his dogs either a good walk before work or something, it's easy to judge but perhaps be careful as full facts can't as yet be known .....

I don'tthink having a garden is the most important thing - its the attention that the dogs get when the owner is there.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 08:26 AM
A dog walker would be a good idea but, used regularly, they can work out expensive. I work so Willow is left for a maximum of four hours at a time (usually only 3-3.5 hours) and a dog walker comes in twice a week so that I don't need to come home every day. She costs £10 an hour, so if I had her each working day it would be £200 a month which would be far too much.

12 hours seems very very long, but I don't see that there is much you can do other than suggest your cousin mentions a dog walker to him.

I think this probably happens more often than we'd like to imagine. J.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I can't agree to leaving a dog for 12 hours a day - they must be bored stiff!

I have nothing against keeping a dog in a flat (even with no garden) as long as the dog is getting plenty of exercise and attention.

I have nothing against people working full time and owning dogs (I am one of those) - however the owners must be prepared to put in 100% commitment to their dog. I walk my dogs an hour before work, half an hour at lunchtime and then a couple of hours in the evening. I spend all my time at weekends with my dogs and we also go out training and sheep herding. When I go out they are left with filled kongs and bones to keep them amused.

Perhaps a dog walker could be suggested to this chap?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 10:06 AM
left to their own devices my lot would quite happily snooze for 12 hours a day - providing of course they had ample opportunity to get out and about beforehand.

I agree that quality of care and attention, is more important than the amount of time spent with the animal.

If the animals are otherwise housed and fed/watered (and I am not condoning it - because my personal opinion is that it isnt ideal), I am not sure what you hope to achieve......other than bad feeling?
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I am not going to interfere or say anything I was just wondering what the general consensus is I was thinking about it because if you work 12 hour shifts, then you have the travelling time to and from work and then the time you sleep, shower, eat, go shopping, etc it doesn't really leave much time for two dogs.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
I was thinking about it because if you work 12 hour shifts, then you have the travelling time to and from work and then the time you sleep, shower, eat, go shopping, etc it doesn't really leave much time for two dogs.
My thoughts exactly. I think it's very unfair on the dogs, unless of course there is someone calling round to exercise and stimulate the dogs at leat twice a day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >