View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 10:01 AM

big scarey dog in the garden last night! (according to lily)

i was sitting watching tv last night and lily was snoozing on one of the dog beds which is by the patio doors. then i heard her making these little growls and snorts. i looked over and she was staring intently at the door. i have an outside light with a sensor and that hadn't been triggered so i wondered what she could see.

as i kept watching her, she started to slowly stand up and then really started growling! her hackles were up and she looked really spooked! she began to back away and stopped, tried again, stopped.

i then realised the silly pup had seen her own reflection! she was starting to really work herself up so i went over and sat on her bed, hoping she'd see me in the reflection and calm down. i opened the door and she was wary about going out but i think i finally managed to convince her that the big, scarey dog she had been growling at, was actually her reflection looking back at her!

has anyone else had this experience with their dogs?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
yep, when Stumpy first came to us I'm 99% certain she had never been in a house - her reaction to the TV, stairs, etc. etc. make us reasonably certain.

We have mirrored wardrobes in our bedroom and the first few times she saw herself in them she had a similar reaction -all puffed up. The funniest thing was she kept trying to go behind the mirror to circle the dog and got really confused.

She still very ocassionally does this with the TV, but she doesn't give mirrors a second glance now.
Emax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Think youself lucky your girl has learnt. Dumb old Max still growls or asks the dog in the mirrors to play with him, dependant on his mood!! I don't seem to be able to get it through to him (after 3 years) that its him. He stops if I go next to him as he sees me in the mirror, you can see the realisation dawning on him awww dahh its still just me!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Emax View Post
Think youself lucky your girl has learnt. Dumb old Max still growls or asks the dog in the mirrors to play with him, dependant on his mood!! I don't seem to be able to get it through to him (after 3 years) that its him. He stops if I go next to him as he sees me in the mirror, you can see the realisation dawning on him awww dahh its still just me!!
bless him. I suppose some would argue that this is the difference between a border collie and a DDB (or we could say it's because Max is a male and Stumpy is a female
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
bless him. I suppose some would argue that this is the difference between a border collie and a DDB (or we could say it's because Max is a male and Stumpy is a female
hali, im shocked(deed not breed pmsl) breedism...followed by sexism!!!

I agree entirely lol
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
hali, im shocked(deed not breed pmsl) breedism...followed by sexism!!!

I agree entirely lol
well Stumpy is mainly black so at least I wasn't being 'colourist'
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
gingerism!!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post