Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Puppy brushes

What brush should I get for a GSD pup?

Haven't a clue, I have been recommended a slicker brush but surely this will be too harsh on a small pup - do I just get a soft bristle brush in the interim?

Thanks for your help.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Can you get those double-sided brushes with bristles on one side and blunt pins on the other? As you say, you don't need anything too harsh on a puppy coat, and you don't want to put him off grooming by inadvertently being too rough on him. If you can get one of the above-mentioned brushes then you can see how it goes - use the bristles and if they don't do the job then try the pins.

Once his fine puppy coat grows out then use a proper slicker.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks SB

Saw one of those down at the pet store yesterday so will pop down today to get it, thank you!!!!

Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-07-2005, 08:20 AM
You really just need to get him use to grooming, so stroking with the bristles should be a good start. A tip for getting them used to it: have a plastic wahing-up bowl upsidedown on a non-slip surface. Encourage the puppy to put its front feet on the bowl (you may have to help him to start with). Place a handful of treats on the floor opposite the pup. As he is standing looking at the treats softly run the brush,down his back, giving him the occasional treat from the pile as you do so. This keeps their attention off the brush, which they might otherwise decide is a fun toy. Before they know it they become accustomed to standing still for brushing Same for the underneath. If you get pup on his side place the treats just out of reach of his nose and gently brush with the occasional reward from the heap. Use a command word such as 'stand', 'over', 'tummy', or whatever. If you can get him used to calmly accepting grooming from a very young age it will pay dividend. And don't forget the nails and mouth
SB
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 08:30 AM
That's a really good advice, I'm going to paste it into a word document - think I'm going to have to refer back to all the knowledge gems I'm receiving - thank you!

I noticed that you mentioned to Gigi about ensuring Archie doesn't eat when he feels like it, by taking the bowl away if he doesn't eat. Is this the same for a wee puppy as well?

Thanks SB
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Would always advise the use of a true bristle brush, expensive but will last for years. Other types of bristles are either too harsh or cause static.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Do you know who manufacters them Thordell?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-07-2005, 10:57 AM
The best, pure bristle, brushes are made by Mason Pearson. Very, very, expensive. Search Google - but be sure you are sitting comfortably with a restorative glass of something before you look at the prices

Sorry, forgot about the food thing. If by any slim chance Fern turns out to be a reluctant eater then the same principle applies. But leave the food down a bit longer than you would for an adult dog. Allow him to eat what he wants over 20 minutes and then take the dish up.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 11:33 AM
You're not kidding are you LOL

£58.45 for the large one!!!

hmmmmm you know what I think that won't be on my shopping list for now!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:28 PM
You don't need a large one I have had my present one for at least 15 years, and looking at it it will outlast me. It is a Mason Pearson but you should be able to get a different, and cheaper, make.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >