register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 42 of 84 « First < 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 > Last »
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I found one reason why NGC are sensitive about the clip - the American Humane Assoc. (US version of the RSPCA) protested about his methods, and demanded they not show this episode - http://www.americanhumane.org/about-...whisperer.html

Good research there, I presume they must be talking about the same episode.

Here's more:

"The training tactics featured on Cesar Millan's “Dog Whisperer” program are inhumane, outdated and improper, according to a letter sent yesterday to the National Geographic Channel by American Humane, the oldest national organization protecting children and animals.

In the letter, American Humane, which works to raise public awareness about responsible pet ownership and reduce the euthanasia of unwanted pets, expressed dismay over the “numerous inhumane training techniques” advocated by Cesar Millan on “Dog Whisperer.”

Several instances of cruel and dangerous treatment -- promoted by Millan as acceptable training methods -- were documented by American Humane, including one in which a dog was partially asphyxiated in an episode. In this instance, the fractious dog was pinned to the ground by its neck after first being “hung” by a collar incrementally tightened by Millan. Millan’s goal -- of subduing a fractious animal -- was accomplished by partially cutting off the blood supply to its brain.

Please excuse the boldened text, I've done that to highlight the problem/issue.

Wys
x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I have also been on the recieving end of people who have tried and failed with the Alpha rolling. One GSD who was exhibiting classic teenage behaviour - was being rolled by its owners of 4 weeks...it then bit one of the owners so badly she was unwilling to work with the dog and refused to rehome it as it was a dangerous dog. (It had jumped up and bitten her arm after being rolled on a pavement).
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I dont use any violence with anyone/thing, i have never beleived in it. I think you misunderstand the techniques completely. As i have said before i have tried lots of different methods with real interest and open mindedness..

You do, fact as the next part of your post states.

I have used the Alpha roll and pinning with my sisters German Sheperd,

This is not used with either aggression or jumping on the dog. its about energy, calmness and i think this is where people get confused. I would never jump on a dog or use body weight. I use my hands and my calm energy to roll the dog down. we did this twice initially with great success, he reacted so well and his whole behaviour relaxed.

You can't use 'calm' energy when you are physically restraining an animal, that is forcing a dog to do what you want, not training it to understand.

since then it was used one last time and now for many months we have had no jumping up.

Of course it doesn't because it hs learnt that you are going to pin it to the ground, all the dog has learned is to avoid a particular behaviour when you and those present when you did it are around. No-one has said these methods don't work but they don't work well and use force, intimidation and bullying to achieve the aim, morally and ethically wrong on so many levels.
Some people really have a strange idea as to what calm means!
Becky
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Given as you say she was at the end of her season, my guess is nature played a big part in him listening to you ,,, and in her not allowing him to mate.

If she was in the crucial time and she was inviting him to mount... I doubt your "down" and "Oi" would have stopped him getting to her.
O for goodness sake, what nonsense!! If Hal was anything to go by, even when a bitch was nearing the end of her season, he would be very, very determined. Every entire male dog I have ever owned have been the same. And my randy GSP bitch Lizzie, would allow males to partake of her services right up to the end of her season.

As for your second paragraph, you are totally wrong. A few months ago, Tai and I were gathering firewood down a lane near here, when a GSP bitch (must be very randy, GSP's!) came haring down the road towards us! Tai looked up, and was off. They met, and Tai was on board and getting revved up before I realised that she was on heat. I roared at him, no time for any oi's or finger clicks, and I am not a fast runner, so I just shrieked atTai No! at the top of my voice, and he stopped, looked at me as I yelled Down as I puffed up the hill towards them. Admittedly, he didn't get off her, but he did pause long enough for me to reach them, grab his collar and pull him off. Not something I would have liked to do with Hal, he would at the very least have growled at me I think.

Thanks to Cesar's methods ... I have this level of control over Tai ... enough control to have got him to pause in mid-penetration of an extremely willing and receptive bitch at the height of her season! The owners came panting down the road full of apologies, explaining that she was in mid season! I told them they didn't need to explain, it was more than obvious! They were full of praise and admiration for Tai, as I was. This took place last summer/autumn, so we hadn't even had him that long then.

Yesterday, in the garden, he was brilliant. I was so proud of him. Everyone was amazed at how these simple words and techniques worked.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I have never seen him choking an animal!
No, neither have I !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Gabe, my entire Male, lives quite happily along side an entire bitch....when it is 'that time of the year' we have no issues. He is not overly interested in her, we get a couple of days of whining if she is really close, but a stuffed kong will shut him up and keep his interest and if there is a marrow bone on offer he will not look at her twice.
(just to point out that not all entire males are sex obsessed).
ETA - also had 2 entire Labs here for her last season - neither one was overly interested and both were called away from her with a recall command...

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, neither have I !
I'm afraid I have watched the Dog Whisperer programme on Sky 3 with CM and seen the action by him with his illusion collar (whats maybe more worrying is I have only watched a coulpe of his shows as I have been so disgusted by his behaviour towards the dogs).
I have a feeling we have had this conversation before - with you believing that the dog is stringing itself up?
Therefore you do see this happen - but you see that the dog is choking itself as opposed to CM doing anything?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I currently have a bitch in season here...with an entire male and spayed female. The spayed female has tried to hump the inseason bitch...but my boy thinks he is the only gay in the village so isn't interested..infact the complete opposite, he really isn't liking her.
That said....he is being kept WELL away from her as I am not risking anything. I am surprised you would allow an entire male and inseason bitch to 'play' in the garden. Not entirly convinced that is fair on either dog to be honest.

It does amaze me that people cannot see CM stringing dogs up and choking them. The evidence is there...plain for all to see. I am bemused by it to be honest.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O for goodness sake, what nonsense!! If Hal was anything to go by, even when a bitch was nearing the end of her season, he would be very, very determined. Every entire male dog I have ever owned have been the same. And my randy GSP bitch Lizzie, would allow males to partake of her services right up to the end of her season.

As for your second paragraph, you are totally wrong. A few months ago, Tai and I were gathering firewood down a lane near here, when a GSP bitch (must be very randy, GSP's!) came haring down the road towards us! Tai looked up, and was off. They met, and Tai was on board and getting revved up before I realised that she was on heat. I roared at him, no time for any oi's or finger clicks, and I am not a fast runner, so I just shrieked atTai No! at the top of my voice, and he stopped, looked at me as I yelled Down as I puffed up the hill towards them. Admittedly, he didn't get off her, but he did pause long enough for me to reach them, grab his collar and pull him off. Not something I would have liked to do with Hal, he would at the very least have growled at me I think.

Thanks to Cesar's methods ... I have this level of control over Tai ... enough control to have got him to pause in mid-penetration of an extremely willing and receptive bitch at the height of her season! The owners came panting down the road full of apologies, explaining that she was in mid season! I told them they didn't need to explain, it was more than obvious! They were full of praise and admiration for Tai, as I was. This took place last summer/autumn, so we hadn't even had him that long then.

Yesterday, in the garden, he was brilliant. I was so proud of him. Everyone was amazed at how these simple words and techniques worked.
My, CM can now add another string to his bow... intervention with only a word to a randy dog after a female!!

Being able to stop a male penatrate a fertile bitch in mid flow with only one word, is maraculous to say the least.

I understand fully that some bitches are more flirty than others.. but letting a male penetrate her at the very end of a season... when not fertile , most would not allow him to do so.

But your experiences are different than mine, all the bitches I know of will only allow a male to mount and penetrate her when she is entering her fertile stage... you obviously have more experience of allowing males to mount and penatrate a bitch in heat.

One wonders what your voice means to Tai, if you can have such control over a dog intend on such a natural instinct , ???? as mounting a fertile bitch who is offering herself to him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Gabe, my entire Male, lives quite happily along side an entire bitch....when it is 'that time of the year' we have no issues. He is not overly interested in her, we get a couple of days of whining if she is really close, but a stuffed kong will shut him up and keep his interest and if there is a marrow bone on offer he will not look at her twice.
(just to point out that not all entire males are sex obsessed).
ETA - also had 2 entire Labs here for her last season - neither one was overly interested and both were called away from her with a recall command...

I'm afraid I have watched the Dog Whisperer programme on Sky 3 with CM and seen the action by him with his illusion collar (whats maybe more worrying is I have only watched a coulpe of his shows as I have been so disgusted by his behaviour towards the dogs).
I have a feeling we have had this conversation before - with you believing that the dog is stringing itself up?
Therefore you do see this happen - but you see that the dog is choking itself as opposed to CM doing anything?
We have darling, many times! As I have said before, I do not like the Illusion collar, I dislike any gadget, preferring to use Cesar's calm assertive methods, rather than his collar. As I have also said many times before, when we first took Tai on, he had good, basic training, but his manners were appalling. 24 hours of Cesar's techniques, and he was a different dog. With simple calm assertiveness, positive confident body language, consistency and firmness we turned a rather rude dog with no manners, into one who would sit and wait for his food until told he could eat, would not barge through doorways and down the stairs, and would not pull like an express train on the lead. That is why I cannot understand Cesar using choke chains - those of his client's who have chokes - or indeed, the Illusion collar. He can achieve the same thing without, because I have with Tai.

And yes, your interpretation of my belief towards the "stringing up" is as you say ... that Cesar is not stringing up the dog, the dog is fighting back and resisting the discipline of the lead. For the first time in their lives, the various dogs that we have seen being so-called strung up (your words, not mine) are having to learn some basic manners, control and discipline that they should have learned a very long time ago from their owners.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My, CM can now add another string to his bow... intervention with only a word to a randy dog after a female!!

Being able to stop a male penatrate a fertile bitch in mid flow with only one word, is maraculous to say the least.

I understand fully that some bitches are more flirty than others.. but letting a male penetrate her at the very end of a season... when not fertile , most would not allow him to do so.

But your experiences are different than mine, all the bitches I know of will only allow a male to mount and penetrate her when she is entering her fertile stage... you obviously have more experience of allowing males to mount and penatrate a bitch in heat.

One wonders what your voice means to Tai, if you can have such control over a dog intend on such a natural instinct , ???? as mounting a fertile bitch who is offering herself to him.
You just have to twist everything don't you, you just cannot accept that actually Cesar's methods could possibly work! Sorry Jackbox, but your jealousy is oozing out of every word you have just typed! I am so sorry that I have such good control over Tai that I can get him to pause when he has been accosted by a bitch in season. It must be desperately irritating to you to know that using Cesar's cruel methods I can achieve this

I NEVER said that I would allow a male dog of mine to mate with a bitch at the end of her season! You really must learn not to put words into people's mouths. As you very well must know, if you have an entire male, they will pay attention to a bitch if she is just about to come on, as well as during the height of the season, and again at the end. Whereas the bitch will not allow mating (usually, unless they are a complete tart like my GSP, and the GSP who came belting down the lane to Tai) EXCEPT when she is ripe for mating, this does not stop them flirting, teasing and being thoroughly tarty at the beginning and end, as we saw last night with our friend's bitch. As must be obvious to anyone with half a brain, of course I would not allow any dog of mine to just randomly mate a bitch. But if owners of bitches in season bring them out during this time, then they must expect entire males to show interest.
Closed Thread
Page 42 of 84 « First < 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 > Last »