View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I use a baby wipe when I have finished the cooking, my oven looks new after 6 years of use! And smells like a baby's bottom!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post

Right, i think this is his advice.

if your freezer is at -30 C...it's waaay to cold and you'll be using up a lot of electricity keeping it at that, normal freezing temp is between -18 and -20 C which is 0 F. If you have a chest freezer it might be your " fast freeze" button is on, ( orange light will be on ) this will keep your freezer running and running and it won't be switching off once it's down to temp. If there's a dial on the freezer they usually are set to the middle setting, if there's a digital display you press "set" and it should show you what temp the freezer is running at and you can change using the same button.

What's most amazing is that i knew the normal running temp of a freezer all on my own ! just shows you, some of his waffle does go in

Nice clean stove

I did do a before and after then realised I hadn't put the memory chip in the camera
Thanks for the information. I know it is too cold but it is on the minimum setting. There are four settings on the dial, Minimum, Normal, Maximum and Super [which is Fast Freeze]. I had it set on Normal and when I checked the thermometer [which I got a few months ago] it was showing -40°C which is ridiculous, so I turned it towards Minimum and it went up a bit, but even on Minimum the thermometer is showing -30°C.

It is a 140 litre 4 drawer upright freezer and is definitely not on all the time. I tend to check it each time I take something out for Pereg and also every time I open the window to open/close the shutters [it sits underneath the window] and quite often it is not running.

Also it cannot be using that much electricity as the bill I have just paid is the same as the previous one. Maybe the thermometer is not working properly as it does not seem to be forming much ice. [My other freezers have frost-free air-flow systems]

Incidentally, your fire looks very inviting...

...nice clean glass as well!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Oooh lovely clean stove!!! OH wants to know who fitted it??
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Suzanne2 View Post
I use a baby wipe when I have finished the cooking, my oven looks new after 6 years of use! And smells like a baby's bottom!!
You should start a thread about all the useful household jobs that baby wipes are good for! I use them for all sorts of things - pity they did not exist when my [now adult] offspring were babies!
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I have tried all sorts of stuff on my glass doors, including very expensive stove glass cleaner, then someone told me to dip newspaper in hot water and then dip it in the ash, either wood or turf ash, and then rub it on the glass, it worked a treat and mine were pretty bad.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Thanks for the information. I know it is too cold but it is on the minimum setting. There are four settings on the dial, Minimum, Normal, Maximum and Super [which is Fast Freeze]. I had it set on Normal and when I checked the thermometer [which I got a few months ago] it was showing -40°C which is ridiculous, so I turned it towards Minimum and it went up a bit, but even on Minimum the thermometer is showing -30°C.

It is a 140 litre 4 drawer upright freezer and is definitely not on all the time. I tend to check it each time I take something out for Pereg and also every time I open the window to open/close the shutters [it sits underneath the window] and quite often it is not running.

Also it cannot be using that much electricity as the bill I have just paid is the same as the previous one. Maybe the thermometer is not working properly as it does not seem to be forming much ice. [My other freezers have frost-free air-flow systems]

Incidentally, your fire looks very inviting...

...nice clean glass as well!
Ahhh, get you now, Eddie Da Fridge thinks it's your hand held thermometer that's wrong, if your food is frozen and the freezer cuts off, the machine is getting down to temp. If the freezer wasn't working, it wouldn't cut off. He suggests you put the freezer back up to normal and ignore the hand held job, for a good thermometer he recommends http://www.climatecenter.co.uk/climt/index.html
That was all dictated to me btw, honestly, he takes so seriously

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Oooh lovely clean stove!!! OH wants to know who fitted it??
Oh dear, he really is Eddie's twin !,
I honestly can't remember who the guy was, we got him through The Burning Question, who have a couple of outlets in Scotland, there is a flue liner out the back of the stove ( not at 45 degree angle ).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Ahhh, get you now, Eddie Da Fridge thinks it's your hand held thermometer that's wrong, if your food is frozen and the freezer cuts off, the machine is getting down to temp. If the freezer wasn't working, it wouldn't cut off. He suggests you put the freezer back up to normal and ignore the hand held job, for a good thermometer he recommends http://www.climatecenter.co.uk/climt/index.html
That was all dictated to me btw, honestly, he takes so seriously
Please tell Eddie Da Fridge that it is a fridge/freezer thermometer that came from Amazon via a friend in the UK [because they would not send it here] and it actually sits in one of the drawers on top of a carrier bag full of chicken wings! It came in a set of three, and there is one in Pereg's freezer, and two in my fridge/freezer [one hangs in the fridge, one hangs in the freezer, and they both show the expected temperatures]. My large freezer has an electronic thermometer [and an aggravating beep if it thinks the door has been open for too long ] so I did not need to get one for it.

For some unknown reason I have not been able to find a fridge/freezer thermometer here, and I doubt the company to which you linked would send one here either.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, he still thinks it's more than likely your thermometer, he thinks it's unlikely that your freezer would be at -30 without it running all the time. Could you swap the other thermometers round ? that would rule out it being a wonky thermometer.
He uses probe thermometers like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Temp-The...809325&sr=1-22

although not this specific one, and these ones don't stay in the freezer.

He's just added that if it is going to -30 and not running all the time then there's not much wrong, even though freezers don't normally run that low.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh dear, he really is Eddie's twin !,
I honestly can't remember who the guy was, we got him through The Burning Question, who have a couple of outlets in Scotland, there is a flue liner out the back of the stove ( not at 45 degree angle ).
Haha! Fab, his company does all the chimney sweeping, liners, flues and stove installs, so he was wondering if he might have fitted it!
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Ha ! talk about a small world !
I'm in Gateside in Fife, we got the stove in about 2 years ago.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >