Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Dogs and slugs/slug repellents?

not sure if this is in the right section sorry if its not

were having a problem with slugs and snails mostly outside but also they are getting into the back porch which i most definatly do not want, i know that they can cause lungworm and i have just got ruby some advocate as she was due for a worming and flea treament anyway so with the amount of slugs and snails about and the fact she is always messing around in the soil and burying chews and then re digging them up and playing with them i went for the option that covers lungworm.

weve got a load of slug pellets around the garden but ruby is very rarely aloud to go where theve been put so i will just have to remember and keep her on the paved bit of the garden for a while,
but obviously we need some way of stopping them coming into the house so is there anyway other than slug pellets thats safe to use around ruby to get rid of them can you get dog safe slug pellets?????
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Those blue pellets are toxic to birds who eat the dead slugs as well as dogs. If you want to use them the safest way is to buy a slug trap (from a garden centre) and put the pellets in there. The slugs die in there so don't get eaten by the birds and the dogs can't get the pellets.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2010, 10:12 PM
The safest way to get rid of slugs and snails is to go out at night with a torch and collect them up in a bucket. The best time is after rain.
I did this all last summer and was collecting half a bucket each night. This year there are hardly any to collect.

I took the slugs down the lane for the birds and hedgehogs but beware where you put them , they have the ability to return to their home garden if they have access.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:09 AM
I won't use slug pellets either after I'd seen the agonising death of a hedgehog that had eaten slugs that had been "pelleted".

I agree with Minihaha ~ collect them in a bucket at night or after rain ~ then dispose of them away from your house. Or, if you're not squeamish ~ do as my mother does & put them in a bucket of salt water & get "slug stew".
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Slugs don`t like to cross sharp stuff, which is why people used to put cinders on the garden. They sell a sort of gravelly stuff now for plants which isn`t harmful.
Indoors you could put a line of salt where they`re getting in at night.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Agree with prevoius posters....
We have LOADS of slugs/snails in the garden...they have munched loads of my veggies this year
I just dont have the time or energy to go out and collect them all everynight I'm sorry to say
You can get pet/birdsafe pellets. Used to be called Growing Success but think they may have been re-branded...anyway they contain a natural substance, which when eaten by the slugs stops them from feeding so they die.Must admit they are NOT as effective as regular slug pellets...but obviously safer and more enviromentally ethical...
You can also get something called Nemaslug which basically is a powder containing a tiny micro-organism which is parasitic to slugs. You water it on the garden every 6 weeks or so...have had some partial success with this this year...
Other than that you could always encourage hedgehogs into your garden...we have a few...or did untill Bella went out one night and went frantic when she found one and scared the poor thing off LOL
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I used to have hedgehogs regularly visiting my garden & I used to put catfood out for them. Several years ago a litter of hedgehogs was born under the shed & we watched them grow & scuttle about the lawn looking very busy ~ but not actually eating anything other than Felix catfood & we still had loads of slugs & snails!

Unfortunately our previous dog decided that hedgehogs were extremely scary enemies & he managed to kill one. We found another runover by a car outside the house & I've never seen evidence of hedgehogs in the garden again

We do have foxes regularly visiting the garden & they drive my current dogs mad ~ sworn enemies & the cause of much frantic rushing round the garden, barking, weeing & standing guard!
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Those blue pellets are toxic to birds who eat the dead slugs as well as dogs. If you want to use them the safest way is to buy a slug trap (from a garden centre) and put the pellets in there. The slugs die in there so don't get eaten by the birds and the dogs can't get the pellets.
i never thought about birds eating the slugs i guess thinking about it will be the same for hedgehogs and the like aswell i feel bad now i certainly wont be putting anymore down now

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
The safest way to get rid of slugs and snails is to go out at night with a torch and collect them up in a bucket. The best time is after rain.
I did this all last summer and was collecting half a bucket each night. This year there are hardly any to collect.

I took the slugs down the lane for the birds and hedgehogs but beware where you put them , they have the ability to return to their home garden if they have access.
i dont think i could do this im far to squemish with stuff like that they can stay in the garden for me i dont spend much time out there anyway its just the house that they need to be got rid off

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I won't use slug pellets either after I'd seen the agonising death of a hedgehog that had eaten slugs that had been "pelleted".

I agree with Minihaha ~ collect them in a bucket at night or after rain ~ then dispose of them away from your house. Or, if you're not squeamish ~ do as my mother does & put them in a bucket of salt water & get "slug stew".
slug stew im sure ruby would love to get her nose in the that the disgusting creature that she is

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Slugs don`t like to cross sharp stuff, which is why people used to put cinders on the garden. They sell a sort of gravelly stuff now for plants which isn`t harmful.
Indoors you could put a line of salt where they`re getting in at night.
i might do this we think were pretty sure they are coming in through the tiny gap along the bottom of the door so a line of salt along there may just work

Originally Posted by loupoppins View Post
Agree with prevoius posters....
We have LOADS of slugs/snails in the garden...they have munched loads of my veggies this year
I just dont have the time or energy to go out and collect them all everynight I'm sorry to say
You can get pet/birdsafe pellets. Used to be called Growing Success but think they may have been re-branded...anyway they contain a natural substance, which when eaten by the slugs stops them from feeding so they die.Must admit they are NOT as effective as regular slug pellets...but obviously safer and more enviromentally ethical...
You can also get something called Nemaslug which basically is a powder containing a tiny micro-organism which is parasitic to slugs. You water it on the garden every 6 weeks or so...have had some partial success with this this year...
Other than that you could always encourage hedgehogs into your garden...we have a few...or did untill Bella went out one night and went frantic when she found one and scared the poor thing off LOL
hmm i cant see ruby getting on with a hedgehog somehow shes clumsy enough at it is she doesnt need help for spiny friends to cause herself a mischief
i think ill have to look into the petsafe pellets and the other product you mentioned thanks

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I used to have hedgehogs regularly visiting my garden & I used to put catfood out for them. Several years ago a litter of hedgehogs was born under the shed & we watched them grow & scuttle about the lawn looking very busy ~ but not actually eating anything other than Felix catfood & we still had loads of slugs & snails!

Unfortunately our previous dog decided that hedgehogs were extremely scary enemies & he managed to kill one. We found another runover by a car outside the house & I've never seen evidence of hedgehogs in the garden again

We do have foxes regularly visiting the garden & they drive my current dogs mad ~ sworn enemies & the cause of much frantic rushing round the garden, barking, weeing & standing guard!
i could ruby being scared by the spiky creature in the dark we never seem to see any hedgehogs around here though