Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pugsly
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2008, 06:51 PM

health screening

hi , i have an 18month old pug bitch whom i hope to breed from in the near future. i am a first time breeder ,and was wondering if there are any health certificates that my bitch needs before i can mate her
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi please don't take offense but why are you breeding from your Pug and is she a good example of the breed?
I would contact one of the Pug breed clubs for advice on breeding and any health tests appropriate to your breed, also contact your bitches breeder (assuming you got your puppy from a good breeder who breeds only from the best health tested stock).
Here is a list of Pug Clubs, the names and telephone numbers of the secretaries can be obtained fom the Kennel Club web site .
  • NORTHERN PUG DOG CLUB.
  • PUG DOG CLUB.
  • SCOTTISH PUG DOG CLUB.
  • WALES & WEST OF ENGLAND PUG DOG CLUB.
  • West Pennine Pug Dog Club.
There are two articles here you may find interesting, one covers why not to breed , the other how to approach learning about your breed and breeding responsibly.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12589
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12882
pugsly
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2008, 10:24 AM
hi minihaha, thank you for the information i am very grateful. i have spoken to a few breeders and have read as many books on pugs as i can . i am in contact with a few pug breeders who say that mango has a good pedigree and that she is a nice example of the breed. i only want to breed her once, but obviously i need to find out as much information as i can before i do. thanks again all information gratefully received
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Sadly there are no health tests at present recommended by the Kennel Club for pugs and many (if not most) breeders do not do any form of health testing before breeding.

I would very strongly suggest that you have your bitch x rayed for Hemi Vertebrae. Your normal vet should be able to do this but if not, they will be able to refer you. You also need to find a stud dog who has been x rayed clear of HV.

Tests in America include Hip and elbow scoring, eye testing, checking heart and lungs, and probably a lot more.
pugsly
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2008, 02:56 PM
hi jessica thanks for your advice. i have had mango xrayed for hemavertabrae and she is clear . i am also in contact with a few pug breeders and 2 in particular are like mentors to me. i have a lovely stud dog lined up for mango when she comes into her next season which should be anytime, and he is also hemavertabrae clear.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Thats great. Good luck