Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Grass seeds

Had Rio up the vets as she had some how managed to get a grass seed in her eye it was not nice it was 1/2inch long luckily there is no damage to her eye and she is fine but it goes to show that these kind of things can be picked up in the unlikely of places, I was at a show and i am carefull to keep her away from long or cut grass which there was none that i was aware even so she managed to pick it up. If you have not experienced it just be aware and check your dogs eyes and feet thoroughly as they can cause alot of damage it was not a pleasant experience for both Rio and myself luckily i got her to the vets early as if it was left it would have caused permanent eye damage.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Thank goodness you got her to the vet quickly!

This year has been awful for grass seeds - we have been seeing at least 1 a day at the practice, most needing sedation as they have gone in so far it's impossible to remove them without.

Ears are also a very common place for grass seeds to lodge, so check ears thoroughly after walks too
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2007, 09:23 PM
aww im so glad that your babe is alright grass seeds can be nasty things
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm glad Rio is alright.
It was this time last year I found a lump on Skye's jaw and 2 operations later a grass seed was found to be the cause.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Glad Rio is ok Mikki, poor girl.
Good job you spotted it and got her to the vets.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the warning. Hope Rio is feeling better now.

We've stopped going to one of our regular walks because the last time I was there the grass had shot up at the side of the ditch. Max always likes to shove his head into the grass to investigate it further . His face was covered in grass seeds, fortunatley none went in his eyes or ears. Luckily I had his Johnsons ear & eye wipes in my walking bag (you can tell I was a Brownie!) & I wiped his face & took him home & checked him over again once I got him back. He wasn't best pleased but it just wasn't worth the risk to carry on.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

27-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Many thanks for the warning. Hope Rio is continuing to be OK. Big hugs..
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2007, 04:28 PM
So pleased that Rio is ok and that the grass seed was removed from her eye before it could cause any permanent damage. Monti picked up one very early in the season which had lodged deep in his ear canal and was very difficult to remove. Grass seeds can travel some distances and can enter almost anywhere causing pain and distress
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Glad she is OK!
This is the seed I pulled out of Liberty's foot this year!

Becky
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Glad Rio is ok. Not had any problems this year with my two, but had to have Simba sedated years ago to remove one from his nose!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >