Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jaxback
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Advice on a abused SBT 16wk Bitch.

Hi
I have 2 SBT pups A little boy 14wk Ollie and we have now taken on a 16wk girl - Skye. It is now apparent that she has been mistreated as she cowers at the slightest thing , she has not been vaccinated or even been outside!!!!!! She is also underweight and some of her front teeth are snapped, her coat and skin are dry and flaky. Ollie has been a perfect gent but Skye is really hyper. She is also very loving and loves cuddles. I can not understand why people do this to animals I would love any advice on how to handle some of her problems.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
My god that's awful.

Thankgod she has you now, good luck xxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Jaxback congratulations on your new puppy.

I would ask very little of her to begin with, give her a few days to settle .Gently try to build confidence and self esteem, let her do things when she is ready and on her terms don't force her to do anything, praise praise whenever she does anything remotely as you would wish.

Try sitting on the floor with your side towards the dog, no eye contact and feed her treats from your outstreched hand. praise when she takes them .

I would move on to simple training with lots of rewards and praise

When you introduce her to anything new make it seem exciting and just the best thing by using a bright tone of voice, praise and treat to reinforce every tiny good reaction.

Don't worry about the coat and weight, that will come with good feeding, the snapped teeth may be baby teeth and the vet should see those .
Here are a couple of articles that may help.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Good luck to you taking this pup on. I wish I could give you advice but the articles linked by Mini will give you a good help.
Once again, good for you.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I am so sorry to hear this mini has already given you great advice all i can say is take it day by day with lots of praise and treats let us now how you do.

xx good vibes for you bothxx