Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah45
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2009, 05:31 PM

How inflexable are rescues?

Just wondering how set are rescue centres when it comes to rules about rehoming? In a couple of years I would like to get another dog, preferably a rescue staff or JRT/similar, and on paper I sound like godawful person to rehome a dog(8 house cats, 2 teeny yappy type dogs and working 12hr shifts). I got my puppies coz all the rescue centres I spoke to cut me off straight away and said no.
So anyone rescued a pup who doesnt live alone in the country, with no kids or other pets(ideal rescue home seems to me)?
Maybe in a couple of years rescue homes will be so full they will be giving dogs away to anyone with a pulse!
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
The RSPCA near us is full (and as far as I'm aware, so are a lot of them), but that doesn't mean that they are going to begin giving away dogs.. After all, the idea is that the dog is found a home to stay in for the rest of his or her life - if they just gave them away to anyone, they'd end up with a good majority back within a month!

I do agree with the RSPCA's rehoming rules, I'm not too aware of other organisations but I imagine they are fairly similar. If they don't believe that you can provide a good home for a dog, then that is up to them really..

However, if you were to find a dog that met all of your requirements - eg, ok to be left alone for long periods of the day, good with cats & other dogs etc - then I don't see how they could turn you away as long as your home was safe and you can show them that you can provide a wonderful home for the new dog.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
sarah, are you asking a question about what would happen in the future or already voicing a prejudgement?

by anyone's standards, incl dog breeders and rescues, 12 hours is a long time to leave any dog at home alone.

im assuming you have other factors to take into account, but havent told us yet?
in which case, the only answer i could give you is "it depends".

im a rehomer, btw
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I think all rescues have different rehoming criteria. However, unless you can come home during the day, or employ a dog walker, I doubt anyone would rehome a dog to someone who works 12 hours a day. That is a very long time to leave a dog alone imo.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Do they have a large outdoor run?
Do you have someone popping in?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
What sort of breeder lets a puppy go to someone who is going to leave it for 12 hours a day?
sarah45
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok, I admit that there are extenuating circumstances (Id never leave a dog alone that long.) As it stands I work 2-3 12 hr night shifts a week, on those nights I take my dogs round to my friends house, where they have 'special' toys and treats and several sphynx cats to play with! They are gated in the living room then crated at night. I pick them up in the morning and take them out for about an 1 and a half (we will do another hour later when they are abit older). They are never left for longer than 4hrs ever.
When I tried to let the rescue centres know about this arrangement they still were only interested in my working hours and said no straight away, I was really hoping to rescue too.
I was hoping if I could say this arrangement has been working fine for over 2yrs they might reconsider. I always thought that rescues would be more inclined to listen but found this wasnt the case at all.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by sarah45 View Post
Ok, I admit that there are extenuating circumstances (Id never leave a dog alone that long.) As it stands I work 2-3 12 hr night shifts a week, on those nights I take my dogs round to my friends house, where they have 'special' toys and treats and several sphynx cats to play with! They are gated in the living room then crated at night. I pick them up in the morning and take them out for about an 1 and a half (we will do another hour later when they are abit older). They are never left for longer than 4hrs ever.
When I tried to let the rescue centres know about this arrangement they still were only interested in my working hours and said no straight away, I was really hoping to rescue too.
I was hoping if I could say this arrangement has been working fine for over 2yrs they might reconsider. I always thought that rescues would be more inclined to listen but found this wasnt the case at all.
then why not just state that in your opening post?

It depends on the rescue you are dealing with - some do have blanket policies others dont and if you had dealt with some of the smaller rescues Im sure they would have listened and if you meritted it considered you for a dog.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Is it always the smaller rescues which are more flexible about peoples' circumstances?
We know a collie that came from the RSPCA to someone with a back yard, no garden really. But the owner said that is because there are miles and miles of fields etc to run about on round here.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by sarah45 View Post
can i ask which rescues in kent you asked?
im knowledgeable in that area and may be albe to steer you in the right direction.
as the dog would be living at your friends house 2 - 3 nights per week, is there an issue with your friend going to centres to meet dogs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >