Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Treiball

Does anyone know how to get started in this? Or is there anyone who has a dog who has been invovled int eh sport?

For those who don't know - it's a sport whereby dogs guide (herd) large gym/fitness balls (sheep) into a goal (pen). The have to put the balls into the pen in the order directed by the handler but there can be any order of balls followed. I think (but I may be wrong) that a dog needs to guide 8 balls into the goal in 15 minutes. As there are 8 balls, I suppose a team could be made up of up to 8 people (I personally think 4 would be better).

Is there anywhere int eh Midlands that does this? I can't find much info on it other than it's something that started in Germany. The problem is that Germany is a little too far for me to go with my dogs. Of course I have a large garden so we could do this at home but I thought it woul dbe fun to get involved with others and their dogs if possible.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Rune(if memory serves ) was looking in to that a while back ...
Ask her and some others about the Ebay incident ..lol
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Rune(if memory serves ) was looking in to that a while back ...
Ask her and some others about the Ebay incident ..lol
Yes,rune and tassle do this
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanx. What happened with Ebay?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh dear----it was a tad embarrassing! I thought I was ordering the balls and it turned out it was books on how to do it----written in German. 16 of them!

Madmare followed suit and then we both had to grovel to the seller!

We do Treibball and enjoy it. You need a good target action to teach the dog to go behind the ball, then lots of control to stop the pushing before you ask for it. The collies love the pushing, Etta is easier because the reward is not in the action but in the end result.

We do a lot of making sure the dog will put itself in the right position to leave the ball between you and it. However I found that if you give a huge reward when the dog reaches you and/or the goal it automatically puts itself right in order to reach you.

We use the cheap gym balls from argos and I bought a kids goal for about £20 on e bay.

It is fun.

rune