View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Best way to deal with over large over excited puppy?

I occasionally walk a couple of Golden Retrievers for a friend and he has now added a puppy which I let out out into the garden and feed etc. The puppy is about 3 months old now and when I go in he is very excited and bouncy and he is grabbing onto my clothes and hands and whatever else he can reach. The problem is it hurts!

I've tried turning my back and ignoring him but that's quite a struggle, especially if he has a firm grip on the front of my jumper. I've tried saying 'ow' loudly and I've tried telling him no or off.

I don't see the dogs on a regular basis, usually a couple of days a month on average.

So what's the best way to deal with it on this intermittent basis where there is not much continuity?

(Have to say, much as love these dogs, the more time I spend with big ones the more I appreciate my little ones! )

J.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 07:46 AM
The problem is with this pup is that EVERYTHING in the world is exciting and the contrast between boring house and thrilling you is vast hence the OTT.

You may wish to consider having a handful of kibble at the ready and throw it on the floor as you open the door.

A dog that is hoovering up food cannot jump and nip you. l)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Can you lure him into a Sit and reward the Sit? (alternative behaviour) Then maybe go in armed with a toy and give him that? (distraction)
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The problem is with this pup is that EVERYTHING in the world is exciting and the contrast between boring house and thrilling you is vast hence the OTT.

You may wish to consider having a handful of kibble at the ready and throw it on the floor as you open the door.

A dog that is hoovering up food cannot jump and nip you. l)
You're so right, of course I'm letting him out after he's been in his crate a couple of hours so I'm super exciting!!! Don't think I'd be happy throwing kibble as there are the 2 other dogs as well so I wouldn't want to risk it.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Can you lure him into a Sit and reward the Sit? (alternative behaviour) Then maybe go in armed with a toy and give him that? (distraction)
He already knows sit so I can definitely try this, although I think he may be too excited to manage it, but the toy is a great idea, if I go in armed with a tuggy I may be able to keep his mouth off me and my clothes!

Thanks guys.

J.