View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2006, 08:37 AM

Eating poo since op (link between surgery and coprophagia?)

Well as you can see from the title Whoopii has started to eat her own poo since shes come home from her Pyo Spaying. It is somthing she did when she was a pup but just stopped. Shes only eating her own as shes not mixing with the boys yet, they will be to much for her. Its either as soon as shes been she turnes around or i know she went at 4am we didnt pick up straight away and shes just been out now and ran to eat and well eaten it :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 The only thing diff we have done is change her food to tin to get weight on her as shes to thin and she will go 2-3 days without eating compleat.

Sorry i know its early for this but help please.
Oh we think shes having a phontom preg too as shes collecting "puppies" including the house phone which is what she does when she has one.

HELP
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Sounds to me like it is the change in the food as with wet food there is still a strong food smell on the poo so obviously doggy thinks its edible.
Is there any dry food from the vets that will help her to gain her weight back ? Dry food does not smell like food when it comes out of the other end because most of the nutrients have been used up.
Other than that all you can do is pick it up the moment she does it.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 09:08 AM
It is hard to tell if this is behaviour or because she might be lacking something in her diet.

I feed my ckcs mostly fresh food, fresh meat/veg/pasta/poatoes ect, they also have a balanced mix.

I personally don't feel tin food is very balanced for a complete diet on its own. If you would like to get weight on her, I would try to get her to eat a good compleat dog food that is balanced mixed in with fresh meet if possible or mix it in with the tin food. You could also try seeing if she would eat compleat food when a little warm water added. Could also try by adding a little bit of stock cube/gravy powder. This would make the food smell/taste nice.

Hope this helps.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi Sarah Here is a similar thread with some observations ..
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36195

The behavior is probably a consequence of the things that have happened of late/ change in routine/food.