Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chico's Mum
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2015, 06:47 AM

I don't agree with the Vet's diagnosis

Morning all.

Took my dog to the vet yesterday as he is having a problem with his back legs. He was limping on one leg, the next day it was both hind legs, and a very tender swollen tummy, also
has yellowy Dioherra after having his last worming tablet last month, his breath, never very sweet, has become almost unbearably smelly.

He examined him (he is 5 yrs old) and prescribed Carprofen and without checking his teeth said he needs an Anesthetic to get his teeth clean as this is why he has smelly breath.

I feel this is a bit extreme, he is only a small dog and weighs 7lb 4oz, he has Arden Grange complete food, has dental chews, hardly ever has food that does not need chewing, to me his teeth look okay although he won't let me clean them, never has liked anything 'foreign' in his mouth.
Given that the smelly breath is accompanied by his sore tummy, I am inclined to think it is something internal that needs addressing.

Your comments appreciated, and thanks for reading.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2015, 07:23 AM
You could go to another vet and ask for a seperate diagnoses. Best to go to a completely different surgey and ask if you are not happy.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2015, 08:40 AM
I find vets like gp's always look for the obvious and to be fair a yorkie with smelly breath they would assume it's the teeth. I had a similar issue with one of my Dobermanns, took her to the vet as she stopped eating and appeared to have a small swelling on her gum. The vet automatically assumed teeth and wanted her booked in for a dental. I'm opinionated and argumentative and said it couldn't possibly be the teeth as they were fine when checked about a month ago. So pushed for xrays on the lump. It wasn't a happy outcome as it turned out she had a rare form of cancer affecting her mouth but better to have a proper diagnosis. So I'd go back and tell him I think he's wrong and would like the dodgy tummy investigated and yes off course that would cause stinky breath. Ask him if he'd like a stool sample to test.