View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I went into holland and barrett today, and was going to get it but the woman said I shouldnt use it :s she said I should use manuka honey instead! But she said it helps with healing so not keen on using it with the stitches. She did a big sales pitch about the stuff though and my mum ended up leaving with 3 jars it was 3 for the price of 2 I bet she was just trying to make a sale though as the manuka honey is double the price. She did say a customer has a horse that had a bad accident uses manuka honey to heal his wounds, but I dont think he had stitches. I will ask the vet tomorrow, but unless she says it is ok he wont be getting the manuka honey on.

The wound before it was stitched was very smooth at the edges and a clean cut. Ive been describing it to people, jakes on a larger scale though, as when a sheep gets a nick when getting seared. The wound is a straight line, but the skin stretches to make it a big circle hole type wound. Thats what his was like, but a lot bigger and the wound went under the skin too.

Jake has become a bit funny with strangers, which has lead my mum to a wild scenario about what happened on saturday. Last night after work, I took jake for a walk around the block. I met neighbours who have a wee mini schnauzer (sp?), they have met jake a few times but he isnt really familiar with them. They kept about 6 feet away but bent over with their hand out (they were out one at a time but both did this, and their dog wasnt there), they didnt approach jake but allowed him to approach them, which he did. But he had his head low, and tail between his legs, approaching slowly and once they stroked him, he was nuzzling right into them. That isnt like him, he loves meeting people and usually goes up with a wagging tail and a wee dance to match Then today, I was out with him and met a council worker who was asking me about him. He had a black bin bag sitting on the floor, again was about 6 or so feet away so not too close. The guy bent down to pick it up, and jake freaked out, tail between his legs and ran behind me, pulling on his lead trying to get away. That just so isnt jake, he is never a skitty timid dog. Later, we met a guy we both know, and jake happily said hello in his usual jake way. So, my mum is now convinced that he was stabbed... I personally find it highly unlikely but she said it matches the wound and the way he being around strangers... So, she has ordered me to ask the vet if the wound matches that

Apart from that he is his usual self.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Just seen this, poor Jake Hope he feels better soon, it must be so sore, I agree with the barbed/razor wire, doesn't look like a bottle cut it to me, surely you would have seen blood around there if it was that bottle anyway? Looks all scratched all over.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Just seen this, poor Jake Hope he feels better soon, it must be so sore, I agree with the barbed/razor wire, doesn't look like a bottle cut it to me, surely you would have seen blood around there if it was that bottle anyway? Looks all scratched all over.
Thanks. The wound wasnt really bleeding, well it wasnt dripping with blood but the surface was all blood and it gradually got worse right until he got to the vets. I think the scratches you are seeing are the stitches that are over the bit where the skin has torn from his side. I will try and take more pics to show them.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 10:06 PM
You can get medical manuka honey cream---its great stuff. Our vet has it in now.

I think you can get it on line, its a bit easier to use than just the honey.

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You can get medical manuka honey cream---its great stuff. Our vet has it in now.

I think you can get it on line, its a bit easier to use than just the honey.

rune
Do you know if the medical one is any different to the holland and barrett one? The woman said its good for everything like colds, spots, IBS ect...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Do you know if the medical one is any different to the holland and barrett one? The woman said its good for everything like colds, spots, IBS ect...
Sorry---no idea and can't remember what it was called--I'd think the H and B one would be fine for what you want. It is brilliant stuff for healing and preventing infecttion.

I had cause to be involved with a pug who tore the back of his ear badly and it healed fast and nicely without being stitched----pugs are not good under anesthetic.

I would make sure Jakes wound heals from the inside out---you don't want it healed on top and not underneath.

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks rune.

Just back from the vets. She said it is healing great, and that I have done a good job keeping it clean. She said I could use either aloe vera gel or manuke honey, but personally would just leave it as it is. She also said the stitches will just come out themself, and that I should avoid them getting wet but its not a problem if they do. But she is at a loss to what caused it, she said that the pocket where the skin pulled away from the tissue underneath, was full of hair. Other than that it was clean, but it took her an hour to flush all the hair out. She said it is consistant with a stab wound, but she doesnt know how likely that is. She said she has never seen a wound like it.

But jake is looking good, and getting back to his usual self.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Thanks rune.

Just back from the vets. She said it is healing great, and that I have done a good job keeping it clean. She said I could use either aloe vera gel or manuke honey, but personally would just leave it as it is. She also said the stitches will just come out themself, and that I should avoid them getting wet but its not a problem if they do. But she is at a loss to what caused it, she said that the pocket where the skin pulled away from the tissue underneath, was full of hair. Other than that it was clean, but it took her an hour to flush all the hair out. She said it is consistant with a stab wound, but she doesnt know how likely that is. She said she has never seen a wound like it.

But jake is looking good, and getting back to his usual self.
Glad he is gettign better,

Cant see how it could be a stab wound, to many small wounds around it to be that, and if someone had gone on the rampage with a knife to inflict those wounds, they would be much deeper,

My guess would be barbed wire, Jake could have got caught up in it, and panicked, (with so many smaller wounds) , I bet the hair was on the barbed wire from either a long coated dog or a deer!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Glad he is gettign better,

Cant see how it could be a stab wound, to many small wounds around it to be that, and if someone had gone on the rampage with a knife to inflict those wounds, they would be much deeper,

My guess would be barbed wire, Jake could have got caught up in it, and panicked, (with so many smaller wounds) , I bet the hair was on the barbed wire from either a long coated dog or a deer!!
There only is one wound, I think what you think are smaller wounds is the stitches at the bit when the skin tore from the tissue on his side. She said the hair was his... I dunno, I think it is unlikey to be a stab wound from a knife but I think he has been stabbed by something whether it be a knife, glass or something else. I will try to get another pic when my mum gets in, need to use her phone to get it on here.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2010, 04:51 PM
OMG just caught up with this thread and poor Jake and poor you! Does Jake roll on the grass etc? I wondered whether he could have rolled on broken glass? That looks a horrific injury caused by either glass or as someone said, maybe razor wire. I agree that it isn't an obvious stab wound because of the other wounds around it. Have you notified the local authority? Maybe the dog warden? I just wouldn't want another animal to suffer like Jake has. Hope he recovers quickly and please give him a gentle hug from us xx
Page 10 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »