Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Behavioural consultation with Chirag Patel

Well we just got back from our behavioural consultation with Chirag and I thought I'd feedback as some people expressed an interest to know how it went.

Firstly Chirag is a really nice guy. Laid back, calm, softly spoken and very approachable. He explained things clearly and I felt very able to ask questions. He never acted like "a know it all" and never made me feel stupid or like I'd been doing a bad job or that Cain's problems were my fault. He was practical and realistic.

We spent the first half an hour sitting in the consultation room just discussing Cain and his background. He never tried to approach or touch Cain. He didn't even look at him, he just threw him intermittent chunks of cheese while we talked. We established Cain's background and discussed the typical traits of his breeds etc and how genetics would always play a part in his behaviour etc. He clarified why I was there and what I wanted from the session. I explained that although he had dog issues, I was really there for the people issues. I explained that I wanted to check what I was doing was right, to get an action plan for how better to handle him and to establish realistic expectations for Cain.

He was really thorough. Asked me all about how I handle Cain on walks, when he reacts, what I do when he reacts etc. He established his bite history and how soft/hard his mouth is (i.e. like the fact he has never bitten and broken skin/bruised etc) He asked what methods my dog trainer/walker uses and how he handles Cain on walks, and how we communicate incidents to each other etc. He asked me about my routine for introducing Cain to visitors in the house and we analysed the incident with my brother a few weeks back and why that might have happened.

He explained to me about BAT by Grisha Stewart and said he thought that would be the best way to train Cain. We discussed methods that I had incoperated from James O'Heare and the Look At That game from Control Unleashed, and how they were similar to BAT. However he said that part of the reward with BAT was to MOVE AWAY from the scary thing AS WELL as treating/rewarding. I think this is a great idea which I haven't been doing as it will hopefully encourage Cain to not only feel more comfortable in the stimulus presence, but to realise that moving away is rewarding - very important in a dog that lunges forward when uncomfortable.

We went in the paddock and he got his poor assistant to jog up and down while we approached and moved away so he could demonstrate the BAT technique. He explained the three levels of BAT and when to use them e.g. in real life when you can't control things, and in training when you can control things and therefore can push the dog a little further as you know nothing unexpected will happen. He gave me tips on how to approach joggers etc in the street. He said I should work on desensitising him to random people appearing and disappearing.

He showed me the ladder of aggression and explained that by treating and removing the dog before the high level aggression e.g. lunge, bite, you end up rewarding and enforcing the low level stuff (like lip licks, yawns etc) so hopefully encourage the dog to use that communication instead. He said if Cain curves across me when approaching something, to go with it and turn away and encourage the appeasement movement.

Then we went back in and discussed guests in the house. He liked my introduction routine and said to stick with it, even if it's forever, as that might signal to Cain that this person is "ok" and should be welcomed into the house. I had already made an active decision to do this anyway after seeing what happened when I skipped it once! In addition he suggested that I get guests to throw treats to diffuse the movement if they get up etc.

He discussed the vet and how I could try and forge a relationship between them by meeting her outside of the surgery, away from the place with bad association. He did a really interesting demo with Cain about allowing him to pick the pace. He threw cheese and then held some out on him hand, Cain wouldn't approach so he threw it too him. He continued, Cain took a step or too forward but wouldn't take it out of his hand. It was really strange to see Cain refusing to go and greet him. I think this was because I didn't walk forward with him. Normally when we greet a person, I'm walking next to Cain so he goes forward. But with me behind him, he wasn't confident enough to approach alone, so we didn't push him. He said to do this with the vet and to keep tossing treats until Cain is voluntarily approaching, no matter how long it takes.

He said the vast majority of what I was already doing was stuff that he would tell owners to do. He said I should continue with everything I am doing, he said everything was right. He's just given me extra stuff to compliment it.

My OH didn't think "he told me anything new" but I disagree. I am happy I went for a number of reasons
1) It has made me feel confident that I am doing all I can to help Cain and that when things happen, it's not because I am getting it wrong. My approach is correct
2) He's given me new ideas and extra methods. For example he mentioned a camping tube, like a refillable toothpaste tube which can be filled with raw mince from his meal as a reward. What a fab idea!
3) He's made me realise that I was taking things for granted. For example he walks past tons of people in the street and doesn't react, and I'd given up bothering to reward that. He said that it's all about building up "padding" and even if Cain isn't displaying behaviours, we don't know what his emotional state truely is, therefore reinforcing all the people on the street will go towards making every experience with strangers something great and making it more concrete.

I was also very impressed that he sat in a room full of Company of Animal equipment and didn't attempt to sell me a single extra thing! Although Cain was already wearing a Halti, Baskerville and a Halti lead

Basically he helped me reassess my approach and refocus me to step up the training around people. So all in all, feeling fairly pleased and positive.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Sounds great!! Really does sound worth every penny from your post. Actually that idea of rewarding for moving away and for the calming signals is probably something I should try to do more with Loui in certain situations, so thanks for sharing. The camping tube also sounds good for Loui with his allergy, I haven't seen them before, did he say where to get one?

Really glad you got on well as I know you had a bit of concern last night.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Sounds like time (and presumably money) very well spent.

Will you see him again?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Sounds great!! Really does sound worth every penny from your post. Actually that idea of rewarding for moving away and for the calming signals is probably something I should try to do more with Loui in certain situations, so thanks for sharing. The camping tube also sounds good for Loui with his allergy, I haven't seen them before, did he say where to get one?

Really glad you got on well as I know you had a bit of concern last night.
Yes, it seems so simple when you think about it. I had removed Cain from situations I thought he couldn't cope with or after he reacted, but actually using moving away as the reward was a new idea. He said that you can get the camping tube from a camping store or online. He's going to include a link for it when he sends the written report so I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Sounds like time (and presumably money) very well spent.

Will you see him again?
Yes I think it was money well spent, even though it was a lot, behaviourists do cost a lot. I am umming and ahhing whether to risk trying to claim it on my insurance or not

I won't see him again unless we feel he needs another follow up appointment, but he gives email and phone support. He wants me to keep a diary and update him in a month to discuss his progress.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-11-2011, 06:17 PM
So glad it all went so well it is nice to know that you have been doing things right from his perspective and he has added some extras on for you to move on with.

It is good to know a behaviourist is agreeing with what you are doing. One with a good reputation which from what others have said he seems to have. I saw him with the St.Bernard and I was impressed with the way he handled things.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
So glad it all went so well it is nice to know that you have been doing things right from his perspective and he has added some extras on for you to move on with.

It is good to know a behaviourist is agreeing with what you are doing. One with a good reputation which from what others have said he seems to have. I saw him with the St.Bernard and I was impressed with the way he handled things.
Yes, I think the main thing was that I felt like I needed reassuring that I WAS doing the right thing. Now I know it is, I can just throw myself into getting on with it. And he did manage to highlight areas for me to focus on more. Even though my dog trainers are great, I felt that given the severity of his issues, he really should have seen a qualified behaviourist by now (although turns out my dog trainers advice was pretty much spot on )

Yes I saw him with the St Bernard. His approach with Cain was similar - no pressure, repetitive and methodical, but very effective.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Sounds like it went really well.

From seeing you with Cain it's clear you do a great job with him and it's great news that Chirag thinks your approaches are correct. And what good extra ideas, especially the camping tube and moving away from a stimulus.

It sounds like although very expesive it was worth it; giving you a renewed sense of hope and energy for his training, and some good new suggestions to try out too.
Glad it went well and thanks for the post about it, I have been curious!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Really interesting to read about your experience with the behaviourist & worth every penny to find out you are doing things right in my opinion, as well as the other things you will be trying I think it will also make you more at ease knowing you are on the right track.
I know after we got help from a behaviourist, everything turned around really quickly with Tilly's behaviour in the house, even though, unlike you we were doing everything wrong & not being consistent, but once we were all singing from the same sheet & giving her clear direction the transformation in her anxious & skittish behaviour dissolved quickly.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I thought you would like Chirag, I am sure you are more confident now, you sound it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 08:50 PM
So glad it went well
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >