Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by leo
You don't look that old or was that pic in your profile taken a while ago
You say the nicest things The photo is only a couple of months old - but the camera is new, wonder if that makes a difference
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-09-2005, 05:10 PM
If your TV has only got a co-axial TV input, you need to look for a Freeview box which has a RF Modulator - this basically takes the signal from the digital reveiver and re-broadcasts it on a certain frequency for your TV to tune into (a bit like the way the old VCRs used to do).

Most Freeview boxes have RF loopthrough, a co-axial output which hasn't gone through the digital decoding process. This set-up is supposed to be for VCRs which tune into their own stations. You can use that to receive analogue channels only, so no different to your current setup.

If you look at this page:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewreceivers.html

scan down the images of the products and look for - any of those models should allow you to get Digital TV with your old TV.

As leo has said, check your locality to see if you can receive Freeview - you may need a new aerial.

Do you get Sky on your main TV ?
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by royv
Do you get Sky on your main TV ?
Yes, well yes until we changed to NTL

WOW, hadn't realised there were so many to choose from , at least we can keep 'Old Faithful' (you watch her break as soon as we plug it in ) Many thanks for the info xx
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-09-2005, 05:41 PM
If your dish is still set up and you still have your digital sky box, you can get a range of services without a card. The ITV channels need a card - which you can get from Sky.

Call and ask for a Freesat card - it's £20

http://www.freesatfromsky.com/?pID=6
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2005, 06:12 PM
If your dish is still set up and you still have your digital sky box, you can get a range of services without a card. The ITV channels need a card - which you can get from Sky.

Call and ask for a Freesat card - it's £20

http://www.freesatfromsky.com/?pID=6
That's great Roy, thanks a million, the dish is still there and the box & remote are in the loft
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Hi all, I was thinking of getting a freeview box for our lil' telly in the bedroom.

Now then, said telly was a Christmas present to me from Santa when I was 12yrs old so that makes her 26!!! She's never missed a beat so I am really reluctant to throw her away BUT she doesn't have any scart sockets or anything (obviously )

Will I be able to connect a freeview box through the aerial socket or is she destined to be replaced?

Pity you don't live nearer, we have a spare colour portable thats only about 12 months old in the loft. My mum bought it and then realised she needed a teletext one instead because she wanted the subtitles on
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Pity you don't live nearer, we have a spare colour portable thats only about 12 months old in the loft. My mum bought it and then realised she needed a teletext one instead because she wanted the subtitles on
Hi Foxy, my old faithful is a colour jobbie with remote control ! (yes, I was a spoiled brat!! ) She is a Philips and in the last 26 yrs she has never (touch wood) gone wrong - BUT you have just made me think of another question for the wise ones
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Just thought My old telly only has twelve channels - will this make a difference to being able to recieve freesat or freeview??

(slopes off quietly and hangs head in shameful stupidity)
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Shouldn't do - if you're using co-axial input, you have to tune one of the channels to the receiver box. You change the channels using your Freeview or Sky Digi remote control.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Shouldn't do - if you're using co-axial input, you have to tune one of the channels to the receiver box. You change the channels using your Freeview or Sky Digi remote control.
Thankyou
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >