Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Gumtree and paypal

hay
Im selling a ring on gumtree and someone has emailed wanting to pay via paypal. if I give them my paypal email is it safe?
Thanks
ATD x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 02:17 PM
They cannot pay you by paypal unless you DO give them your email address! That's how Paypal will identify your PP account! Quite safe. Obviously never give out passwords.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Make sure you can see the money in YOUR pp account before you part with the ring.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Make sure you can see the money in YOUR pp account before you part with the ring.
Being the cynic that I am I think I would transfer it out of my PP account into my proper bank account and then send the ring, don't know if that's possible but that's what I would do but as I said I have reached the point where I don't trust anyone
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Being the cynic that I am I think I would transfer it out of my PP account into my proper bank account and then send the ring, don't know if that's possible but that's what I would do but as I said I have reached the point where I don't trust anyone
Yes, Harvey, this is possible.

PayPal are safe - I use them loads
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I've used PP for years.

You can do that but bear in mind it could take up to a week to show up in your bank.

If this is a private sale - it's quite unusual to get a request to pay by Paypal.

My first preference would be cash. Then a UK bank to UK bank transfer. There is virtually no chance of that being reversed once the money is in your account and with most UK banks these days it is almost instant.

You didn't say what sort of amount we are talking about here. And I am guessing it is because of distance you will be posting it out.

You have to use Special Delivery for Jewellery. It will not be covered for loss or damage in transit if you don't.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2011, 06:29 PM
its a scam,
I sent the email they then told me I had been paid I need to send it out today to south Africa
ATD x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
its a scam,
I sent the email they then told me I had been paid I need to send it out today to south Africa
ATD x
OMG stand by for another e-mail in a few weeks time asking for all your bank details under some pretext that the sender is your bank and they just need to confirm your account number, password, etc etc.

I can not write here the feelings of hate I have for these bar stewards