View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Staffordshire Bull Terriers: L2HGA is a must in all breeding dogs, also PHPV and HC (Eyes)
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Thordell I was just trying to say (probably not puting it over well) that it would be good idea if something like this was explained in bit more detail.

There might be new folk here doing thier homework & would appreciate knowing what health checks etc on different breeds are. I know of one person that is here shes a first time dog owner & saying things like P.R.A, C.E.A & HD etc etc needs to be explained what it means?
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Saz
Staffordshire Bull Terriers: L2HGA is a must in all breeding dogs, also PHPV and HC (Eyes)

See I dont know what L2GH or PHPV is lol Educate me lol
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Think you are right, then perhaps we should have a reference to explain what the abbreviations mean, and how they are tested for and then on the Breeds By Group section perhaps each breed could have a list of problems that are known to be in the breed. Trouble is within ones own breed you are so used to talking in terms of abbreviations that you forget those outside the breed may not understand.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by MBll
See I dont know what L2GH or PHPV is lol Educate me lol
L2HGA:
L-2 Hydroxy-glutaricaciduria is a metabolic disorder which can cause seizures.

PHPV:
Persistent Hyperplastic Primary Vitroeus is an inheritable eye condition.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2006, 06:30 PM
HC = Hereditary Cataract
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Here are some links to help those who wish to find out about health tests and which breeds are subject to which hereditary or congenital health problems.
First a list of breeds and their problems, this is thought by many to be over the top but it does explain what the problems are and gives those who are not in the know a chance to ask. It opens in Adobe Reader and not all breeds are listed

Hereditary and/or congenital problems in the dog

Below is the BVA site where you can find details and explanation of the tests carried out on hips, elbows and eyes in the UK

British Veterinary Association

There is also information available on the Kennel Club site

The Kennel Club
click on Health issues at the top and then on Health Schemes at the top on the left, then on what ever it is that interests you
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4