Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Are all Vets Like this?!! *long RANT*

well since moving we changed vets for ease, the first ones koda's been to though*

Right the first time we went to them was when Koda was 5/6wks (although as most will know we were told he was 8wks*) These are the vets who said he is about 5/6wks when they checked him over.

at this first check, they did everything necessary etc and i told them he did have pretty bad diarhhea, but they said its probably down to being moved and also change of food etc...

fair enough.

took him home that night and a few hours later he was crying before takin a poop (which was like water and contained blood)

Suddenly alarmed i called their 24hr vet and it was the old bag that had checked him earlier on, but her OH had answered her mob and said she'd call back....5mins later she rings and first thing she says is "whats the matter now?!!" I was like umm, excuse me? i was ringing to get some advice!! and i told her what had happened and then said could this be a sign of wormss?? and earlier on in the meeting she had said "has he been wormed??" and i said yes, every 2weeks since 2wks acording to the breeder"...

anyway after saying "could it be worms causing blood in his stool??" she snapped and said "you told me he was wormed earlier!!!" i said "thats what the breeder told us" and she said "well, you met them did they seem like they would lie to you??" WTF?!

what a question!! i was like....i met them for like half hour!! how was i to know they were lieng??!

then i said, you even said he was 3 weeks younger than they had told me, soooooo doesn't that say alot?! she was like hmmmm well just monitor him bla bla bla i dont know what it is!!

i was fuming, if i hadnt already paid and booked for his jabs i wouldnt have gone back!!!

anyway went back a week ago for jab....different vet, seemed ok-ish! anyway he had his jabs etc (thats all he had gone for - he's on his own worming prog at home fortnightly with us)

and she said to us when was he last wormed? and i said about 2days back(approx it wasnt long)..and she said well here this is a stronger wormer (even though he hasnt had diarhhea or any blood etc in stools for a few weeks)

and i said he's just been wormed with drontal she was like well worm him again tomorrow, no later

and that was that we went out and the woman on reception said ok thats £5.40 please....I said "for what?" and she said "this ONE worming tablet" i said right i wasnt aware i was going to be paying for anything today i didnt bring any money with me!" "she was all weird looking and said well he really does need this urgently "

My b/f by this point was fuming and said look we'll bring in money tomorrow morning then! and grabbed the tablet...."

She grabbed it back and said sorry i cant give it to you, you'll have to pick it up when you pay.....

right then......bye! thanks!

we didnt go back(shocker!)

these were the same vets that told us to take Kodas water away from 7PM till 7AM....!!

Hmmmmm Need a new vet!!!!!

sorry for the long rant, am i being silly b/c i found it very rude how they treated us! also how they threw things at us, we didnt even need, without even asking if we would like to buy it! i mean c'mon!!

x
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you have been treated like this,not very professional if you ask me.Politeness costs nothing but people nowadays must think it costs the earth.
Good for you ditching them and if they treat all their clients like this,they wont be in business for very much longer.Hope you manage to find yourself a decent vet,they aren't all like that,xxxxxxxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Some vets can be very abrupt and some seem to presume that you know nothing and do not need to know or understand what the treatment they are giving the dog is. You can also get some very very dodgey "behavioural" advice from vets (like "take their water up at night), i don't really know why some vets seems to think their medical qualifications also give them the knowledge to deal out advice on behaviour and training.

If you are not happy with the vets then shop around and fine another one.

Unfortunately all the vets in our area expect to be paid on the day, no money = no treatment/medication.
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I can understand the money issue i didnt mind coming back in to pay and get it, its just not being asked if you want to buy something is a bit insensitive!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
I can understand the money issue i didnt mind coming back in to pay and get it, its just not being asked if you want to buy something is a bit insensitive!!!
Yes, they can be very like that. I recently changed vets after a vet held Tonks to the table by her neck on her first visit to him.....she was 6 months old!! He then gave her a jab, assured me it wasn't steroids when i asked....i have since found out that it was steroids.

Needless to say i will not be going back to them.

We have returned to our original vet, who we only moved away from because the other one was nearer to us, they are wonderful and i will be staying there where both i and Tonks are far happier.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I dont think i have ever paid on the same day as treatment lol. I just walk out and say i'll be back.

Some people are rude and like said, assume we mere mortals are thick.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I think its standard practice to have to pay on the day at vets, although I would expect them to cut you some slack for a single worming tablet.I am happy with my vets, although I wasn't happy with the drippy receptionist yesterday when I phoned to say I needed to bring one of my dogs in ,I got an apt. eventually, but it was hard work, but shes just one half baked and half brained little nobody, the vets themselves are good, if they wern't I would find one that was.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
i changed my vets they were horrilbe to me, made me cry on 3 seperate occasions!!

wont go into it though! just be glad you got out of there! some vets (like my old ones) dont give a toss really, my new vets are lovely
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Gosh, our vets are lovely - I can't believe yours were so rude to you!
Although it is policy to pay on the day, when Sam had to have an emergency op to save his toe, the receptionist sorted me out so I could pay in installments and if I have forgotten my purse, they know I will come back ASAP to pay.
I have called the emergency vet more times than I care to remember for advice or to get some reassurance, and they all respect that as owners, we know our pets better than anyone else and even if I've phoned two or three times on the same night, the vet has had infinite patience with me.

I would be appalled if I was spoken to as they spoke to you and I think I would be writing a very cross letter to the practise once I had registered at another vet.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Goodness....sounds just like the vet round the corner from me!Where do you live!
PS...I use a different vet needless to say
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >