Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Not read the rest of this thread as it would take ages and I'm tired but just thought I would add in my initial thoughts!

I don't have a cat but we have one that lives next door (with dogs).

To me, cats aren't dogs... I don't expect her to behave like a dog. If she poos in my garden (rarely, but sometimes), I pick it up like I do with dog poo. If she sits on the fence to torment the dog (which she clearly does on purpose ), and Alfie barks, he gets told to be quiet and leave her. Sure she winds him up a bit sometimes by prancing along the fence just out of reach, but again he is just told to be quiet. I don't shoo the cat away. I want Alfie to learn to ignore cats, and she is welcome.

Their other cat got hit by a car, I know it isn't my responsibility but I would much rather have her in my garden than on the street!

(She has never scratched Alfie ever... but) if she ever swiped at Alfie for getting too close (no damage, just a scratch) I wouldn't ban her from the garden either, as to me he has to learn to respect/ignore other animals. Maybe that's just me

Probably a pointless post, but those are my thoughts
sorry another quote, just catching up...backwards lol

Good post Kammi and just what I was like before I ever had one. Thats why I really dont get the "OMG the cat sat on the fence and the dog barked" crew. Tell it to shut up then! lol

Dogs are more than capable of being trained and eventually the cats also learn....

Defo not pointless Kami, common sense I think!
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I have heard of cats getting on the fence and agonizing the dogs to the point where they learn to jump a fence while owner is at work. then when he gets home he ain't got no dog around and got to put up some coin to go get your dog out of jail. I've heard that before but don't really believe it. If a dog jumps a fence then well... You've got a fence jumper regardless of cats.

Do you cat owners do anything with your cat if you see it on the fence messing with a dog? Just curious. I don't have fences to deal with that problem.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jpepper View Post
I have heard of cats getting on the fence and agonizing the dogs to the point where they learn to jump a fence while owner is at work. then when he gets home he ain't got no dog around and got to put up some coin to go get your dog out of jail. I've heard that before but don't really believe it. If a dog jumps a fence then well... You've got a fence jumper regardless of cats.

Do you cat owners do anything with your cat if you see it on the fence messing with a dog? Just curious. I don't have fences to deal with that problem.
My kitten has been seen by my neighbours staring down at their dog (I wasn't there at the time) and also sticking a paw through the fence to poke the dog on the nose. My neighbours think it's hilarious.

I've since seen her on top of the fence making the dog bark on one occasion so I called her in, but of course I can't do that if I'm not there. However I've told my neighbours to shoo her away if she gets on their nerves at all.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh please send it my way when you hear something.

Dont get me wrong, my cats stayed close to home and the hunted in the woods, when my neighbour got mice they lasted a day and then my cat killed them, so my neighbour was happy, they sunned themselves on the garage roof and if it was windy they sunned themselves in the shed window instead. They played in the trees too. So although they must have still gone to other gardens at times, they basically stayed home after a while in the woods, but their re-call was great!! They were always happy to come in at night, or basically whenever I called them. But what gets me is when people go daft enough to rant on a forum that a cat will stalk a rabbit, or god-forbid, stand on a fence and then moan about how their owners are not taking responsability, I mean seriously, they are not strange looking dogs, what exactly do they want them to do....

Just as they are moaning about the cat "taunting" maybe their cat owning neighbour thinks they should teach their dogs to shut the heck up sometimes, which is actually a far more realistic and do-able exercise!!
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
My kitten has been seen by my neighbours staring down at their dog (I wasn't there at the time) and also sticking a paw through the fence to poke the dog on the nose. My neighbours think it's hilarious.

I've since seen her on top of the fence making the dog bark on one occasion so I called her in, but of course I can't do that if I'm not there. However I've told my neighbours to shoo her away if she gets on their nerves at all.
That's very respectable and about the only thing us dog owners can ask to do! I actually think it is quite hilarious as well and sure the dogs looked puzzled half the time.

Although from my experience when my dogs run across a trap line with a live racoon in it. It's common for them to stick a paw out and swipe at the dogs only to get an arm or hand yanked off. Not saying I would condone this behavior but who is held responsible in worst case scenario that cat loses a paw? The dog owner or cat owner? Or it that mutual? I don't know how that would be played out but I can imagine it would be ugly and the owners would have to come to some sort of an agreement
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
That's very respectable and about the only thing us dog owners can ask to do! I actually think it is quite hilarious as well and sure the dogs looked puzzled half the time.

Although from my experience when my dogs run across a trap line with a live racoon in it. It's common for them to stick a paw out and swipe at the dogs only to get an arm or hand yanked off. Not saying I would condone this behavior but who is held responsible in worst case scenario that cat loses a paw? The dog owner or cat owner? Or it that mutual? I don't know how that would be played out but I can imagine it would be ugly and the owners would have to come to some sort of an agreement
IME cats are often far faster than the average suburban canine in the first place and often a fair bit more intelligent.....
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I can't stand an open mouth dog. I can agree with you fully.

I don't think we have cat owners here in Texas as some of y'all are.

If it was up to me I'd have cats to keep the mice in check and my rooster to keep the snakes in check and my dogs to keep the large cats and yotes away along with hogs.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
IME cats are often far faster than the average suburban canine in the first place and often a fair bit more intelligent.....
Worst case scenario..... I agree though they can be hard to catch although I haven;t ever tried to catch any lol.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I can't stand an open mouth dog. I can agree with you fully.

I don't think we have cat owners here in Texas as some of y'all are.

If it was up to me I'd have cats to keep the mice in check and my rooster to keep the snakes in check and my dogs to keep the large cats and yotes away along with hogs.
Reminds me of that rhyme - there was an old lady who swallowed a fly......
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm not familiar with that one.... had to google. :P
Page 22 of 23 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 >