Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2009, 11:22 AM

And back to the vets we go

Put the dogs in the garden before we went to bed last night and Toff's poo def wasnt firm ... same thing this morning , all over the landing , ewwww ... so ive rang the vet and he's going to leave us some Pro-Kolin at reception to collect
Im def getting worried why Toff has the squits again , his cleared up last weekend ... Gypsy is still ok after taking her Pro-Kolin

their diet hasnt changed (chicken and boiled brown rice) no treats at all and plenty of (boiled & cooled) water available , they def havent eaten anything on their walks ... im starting to think that maybe its something in our garden , though all thats in there is grass & a few nettles against the fence , def no chemicals have been put down as long as we've lived here , im just stumped and I hate that my babies are sick
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 12:17 PM
oh dear, I hadn't realised that they'd both had it to start with. It does sound more like some kind of bug which they are passing between themselves?

Hope Toff gets better quickly (and that its not then Gypsy's turn again!)
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Chicken and rice is good for short time settling digestive upsets, but not as a long term diet. I would get them on a kibble. Almost any of them should be a better diet. The vet does need to keep checking them for worms and other parasites.

Also, they are good at finding and eating things that upset their digestion. Could they be cleaning up after rabbits or something?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh dear, so sorry you're back to this. As you might know I had the very same thing, went on for a whole month or more, faecal tests, the lot, and just like you, I was almost gonna have the whole garden dragged out and replaced thinking I must be poisoning my dogs because we just couldn't get to the bottom of it. Maybe it IS a very bad bug, I really don't know, but what has changed here is the complete food intake, I have binned everything and started all over again with something completely different, and introduced each treat (only a bonio, or a markie/raw carrot and suchlike) individually, and touch wood, it's all worked for me here, perfect poo everytime!

One thing I will say is, I think I have found the cause of mine. We have a wild rabbit which visits the garden on a regular basis, dusk and dawn and the pair of them would hurf out there to eat the rabbit poo, which I wasn't too bothered about, although I tried to pick most of it up THEN, during my internet search on what could be the cause of this awful intermittent diarrhea, I found that rabbit poo contains the most humungous bacteria and worms!!!! Quite a shock to me to find that out! Anyways, although I borrowed a 2.2. rifle to shoot the bladdy thing with, it never re-appeared ever since I got the gun (psychic rabbit perhaps?) BUT, I do leave the dogs out in the garden all evening now, and it seems to have deterred the little blighter from paying us a visit, so all in all, I strongly suspect that rabbit poo that mine were eating. Maybe you might have the same thing???

Don't think it's you or your garden, it'll do your head in, it did mine!!! Just have some faecal samples done every 2 weeks if you can (insurance?) at least that way you know serious stuff is taken care of and all you have to worry about then is the change of food or getting a big gun!!! Good luck, I've been here and I'm soooo glad it's all over for me now, it did my head in just like it must be yours!
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Our vet reckons its a bug that Gypsys reinfected Toffee with , thats why he wants Toff on the Pro-Kolin asap
once that treatments finished im to keep a sharp eye on the dogs, and the first sign of illness he wants them both in for tests

No rabbits round here , leastways we never see any , not even in the fields , even though we are in a small village.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Not good and am thinking of you. Hopefully the problem can be found.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Oops, sorry I should have updated before now

Both dogs are fine now after their courses of Pro-Kolin
Im still cooking all their meals (chicken or Mince or white fish with brown rice and a small handful of dog biscuits)
their energy levels are coming back to normal too , though Gypsy , being a lean dog before she got ill , has obviously lost weight , you can almost see her ribs , my poor bony girl

Is there anything I can feed her to help her get her weight back-up , but that wont cause her tummy to get upset again ?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2009, 04:18 PM
tripe is quite good, but if she's never had it before, probably not the best time to introduce it!

otherwise if you are really worried about her weight, give her an extra (smallish) meal in the middle of the day for awhile.

Glad to hear that they are both fine now