Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Craig & Lorna View Post
After trawling through 9 pages of your previous posts, that comment does not surprise me at all

I guess that's typical of someone who realises they are not convincing others: resort to insults.

If you don't want opposing views to your own, then don't post in a public forum.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:34 AM
The point that seems to be continually missed is this is not every breed we are talking about. We are talking specifically about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

If someone told you that they wanted a (Don't mean to keep using the German Shepherd) German Shepherd but they really did not want a dog that was protective of it's owner or home, you would tell them to look at a different breed !

If you do not want a potentially dog aggressive dog then don't buy a Stafford !
I know several GOOD SBT breeders, whose dogs do well at shows & whose dogs temperaments fit the BS exactly & who do all the health tests.

Nowhere in the BS is DA a requirement & in fact in line with the current"fit for function"etc instructions to judges dogs showing DA in the ring should NOT be placed in the same way a nervous dog should not be placed.

One of my close friends(before poor health affected him)was a top breeder of Bull Terriers & judge of both Bullies & SBTs. His own Bullies always had the correct temperaments & characters as their BS requires

Characteristics
Courageous, full of spirit, with a fun loving attitude. .........

Temperament
Of even temperament and amenable to discipline. Although obstinate is particularly good with people.
even at a time when many had dreadful temperaments(both DA & Fear Aggression). He would never put up a SBT that displayed DA or Fear Aggression in the ring(He was a Championship Show Judge in both breeds). He had over 40 years experience of both SBT & Bullies & did forecast the deterioration in the temperament of SBT in the show ring & elsewhere long before it was perceived as a problem
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:40 AM
The point that seems to be continually missed is this is not every breed we are talking about. We are talking specifically about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

If someone told you that they wanted a (Don't mean to keep using the German Shephered) German Shepherd but they really did not want a dog that was protective of it's owner or home, you would tell them to look at a different breed !

If you do not want a potentially dog aggressive dog then don't buy a Stafford !
I have no intention of purchasing a Stafford, especially if you speak on behalf of most breeders. If I were to get one it would be from rescue, no doubt about that.

Can you not see that there is a vast difference between a dog protecting it's owner or home to a dog that is dog aggressive?

When you so easily have a choice between using something that is DA and something that is not, it seems that there is just no justification to go for the former.

If you can give me a valid reason for going that route then I will happily listen to it, but to say that most staffie owners are happy to accept it as a breed trait just doesn't wash with me.

Still, it seems this isn't up for discussion, only that you are right and the rest of us are wrong
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I guess that's typical of someone who realises they are not convincing others: resort to insults.

If you don't want opposing views to your own, then don't post in a public forum.
I'm not trying to "convince" anyone of anything.

You quite clearly know nothing about Stafford behaviour, and i couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not.

You want everyone to stop breeding, and get a fine if they do, you don't think that Staffords should be dog aggressive and we should all get our dogs from rescue.

Your own rescue dog, you have openly admitted is lunging, barking and jumping at every dog that he sees. "Just because he is friendly" !

Most of your posts are you asking for help, with situations thta have arisen that you do not know how to react to or control. Yet for some reason you feel you are in a position to educate everyone else, on matters that you clearly have NO experience of knowledge of.

How many Staffords have you owned ? How much experience do you have around the breed, apart from meeting the odd one in the park ?

Maybe it is you and your attitude that need evaluating, not the temprement of the Stafford.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:41 AM
few statistics from dogs trust website ( just dogs on the site, not all of them that will be in rescue)

out of the 77 staffs on there website 29 are dog friendly, dont you think that by not discounting DA dogs from your line you are potentially doing more harm than good to the bad rep these dogs already get?
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I know several GOOD SBT breeders, whose dogs do well at shows & whose dogs temperaments fit the BS exactly & who do all the health tests.

Nowhere in the BS is DA a requirement & in fact in line with the current"fit for function"etc instructions to judges dogs showing DA in the ring should NOT be placed in the same way a nervous dog should not be placed.

One of my close friends(before poor health affected him)was a top breeder of Bull Terriers & judge of both Bullies & SBTs. His own Bullies always had the correct temperaments & characters as their BS requires

even at a time when many had dreadful temperaments(both DA & Fear Aggression). He would never put up a SBT that displayed DA or Fear Aggression in the ring(He was a Championship Show Judge in both breeds). He had over 40 years experience of both SBT & Bullies & did forecast the deterioration in the temperament of SBT in the show ring & elsewhere long before it was perceived as a problem
Great ! Maybe you could let us in on who they are ? Are you suggesting that they hip and elbow score aswell ?
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I have no intention of purchasing a Stafford, especially if you speak on behalf of most breeders. If I were to get one it would be from rescue, no doubt about that.

Can you not see that there is a vast difference between a dog protecting it's owner or home to a dog that is dog aggressive?

When you so easily have a choice between using something that is DA and something that is not, it seems that there is just no justification to go for the former.

If you can give me a valid reason for going that route then I will happily listen to it, but to say that most staffie owners are happy to accept it as a breed trait just doesn't wash with me.

Still, it seems this isn't up for discussion, only that you are right and the rest of us are wrong
I hope should you ever decide to own one, that you are very happy together.

It is quite clear that my point, and the same points raised by many other "STAFFORD OWNERS" here in the past, that have now given up posting, are never going to be listened to.

Yes of course there is a difference between guarding a nd dog aggression ! Although they are both characteristics of individual breeds. Whether some of you want to accept it or not, is a different matter.

I have tried to make different points, i have asked questions about the number of registered well bred health tested Staffords in rescue and i have tried to make the point that i do not actively seek dog aggressive dogs. All of which has been ignored, and followed by insults and accusations about the way i treat my dogs, i do not health test, and the stud dog tat i used !

Carry on,
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
few statistics from dogs trust website ( just dogs on the site, not all of them that will be in rescue)

out of the 77 staffs on there website 29 are dog friendly, dont you think that by not discounting DA dogs from your line you are potentially doing more harm than good to the bad rep these dogs already get?
How many of those do you think are well bred health tested KC registered Staffords ? I'm guessing not one !

Those stats alone tell you that the higher percentage of them are not suitable around other dogs, as it is a breed trait ! Or are you suggesting that all of those been been purposely bred to be dog aggressive too ?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm not trying to "convince" anyone of anything.

You quite clearly know nothing about Stafford behaviour, and i couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not.

You want everyone to stop breeding, and get a fine if they do, you don't think that Staffords should be dog aggressive and we should all get our dogs from rescue.

Your own rescue dog, you have openly admitted is lunging, barking and jumping at every dog that he sees. "Just because he is friendly" !

Most of your posts are you asking for help, with situations thta have arisen that you do not know how to react to or control. Yet for some reason you feel you are in a position to educate everyone else, on matters that you clearly have NO experience of knowledge of.

How many Staffords have you owned ? How much experience do you have around the breed, apart from meeting the odd one in the park ?

Maybe it is you and your attitude that need evaluating, not the temprement of the Stafford.

LOL LOL - Oh,
do
grow up. If you cannot handle a proper discussion without hurling personal (and frankly absurd) insults at people, then don't join in with discussions to start with.

And the whole point of forums such as this IS to provide people with the chance to get advice from others. Which I have done. For you to try and turn that into an insult - wow. Just...wow. But hey, it's all good - you're showing your true colours for everyone to see.

Oh, and by the way: my ex had nothing BUT Staffies for over seven years. So actually I have spent rather a lot of time around them and not 'just met the odd one in the park'.

Now either grow up and behave like a civil adult, or go and find a child's forum to play on. Actually scrap that - most kids have far better manners than you.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 12:14 PM
What personal insults ?

Judging by your previous posts you clealy know nothing about Staffords ? That's not an insult that is an observation.

I agree, the whole point of forums such as these is to get advice and help others ! Do you not see how that can seem a little off, when the person trying to educate and give you advice on your breed, actually doesn't own that breed and has numerous posts asking for help with the breed that they do have ?

You own a rescue lab that displays more aggressive behaviour in public than i would ever allow any of my Staffords to, and i'm the one being told i'm irrisponsible ?
Page 11 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »