View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aerynsun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Zero chewing problems with both rescues: Collie gsd x rescue never chewed a single thing, but did fetch slippers to lick them while we were out. GSD rescue didn't touch a thing and could be left alone for a couple of hours in a living room full of stuff and do no damage, but if she got hold of anything cardboard that was a different matter. Current GSD bought from a breeder will chew on anything.. especially wires and plastics. She is still young tho, and I wonder if it has anything to do with her having less exposure to all things chewy as I crated her and didn't crate the others.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I`ve had 7 rescues - none of them have chewed. I had one breeder-bought dog who did - but as she was 4/5 months she was teething. This is a very calm house though, and the dogs were rarely left alone.
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Obi my rescue Akita x chewed alot when we got him. He was about 10 months old. He ate great big holes in the middle of the kitchen floor, several times, ate the coals off my gas fire, ate a doorframe, chewed the table and chair legs. He also wrecked his beds constantly.

However this only lasted a few months and now we can leave anything at all and he never ever touches a thing.

Ali
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2008, 09:02 PM
until bout an hour ago, i would ve said deez has chewed only a few things, when he was a pup( non rescue) but will shread his soft toys and chew bits of wood we bring back from the forest for him. tonight he has just wrecked my sons phone!!! but it was in one of those sock things, which looked like a sweet wrapper- and he does steal food, so think it was a case of mistaken identity lol.
lily - breeder rehome, will also steal anything which has had food in it such as boxes and chew them- but has not chewed anything else.
had rescue lurcher years ago, who on first night chewed everything in site( mum had just been shopping so lots on counter) while he was shut in kitchen, and although got better, would still chew carpets by door if he was shut away
mad_molly2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2008, 09:32 PM
fortunately Molly has never been a chewer of anything other than her own toys and chews and we have had her since she was 20 months - Max came to us at 4 months and he's not really been a chewer either (the only thing he has chewed that he shouldn't have was a pencil that my youngest had left on the floor!) Both are rescues.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I have had 2 breeder Beardies 1 breeder Beardie/Border cross and 2 rescue Beardies.

The 2 breeder Beardies chewed a bit also the cross but not any more than I would expect a pup to do.

One rescue who I got at 11 months didn't chew at all.

And then came Zymi Rescue or the destroyer as I called him. He came to me at 6 months and he didn't so much chew as eat anything he could get his teeth into!!!! He chewed through several houselines one when I had hold of the end of it!! Shredded paper cloth pens anything he could get hold of and while we were in the same room. My Mum had moblility problems and I was making her bed one day while I was making the bed and mum was in the same room he ate a hole out of the back of a brand new nightie

I'm not proud to admit this but he was caged at night until he was almost 3 because I was afraid of what he might do during the night as in eating the duvet with me under it When he first arrived I covered the cage with a blanket to make a den and he ate a good bit of that overnight.

He hasn't destroyed anything major TOUCH WOOD for months but can't resist tissues and is good at pinching them from pockets and sleeves while I'm wearing them!!!

He reduced me to tears many times as I've never had a dog like him. I think he has a need to chew so being on a raw diet helps he would eat as much bone and chunks of meat as I give him unlike my breeder boy who will take the meat off ribs and leave Zymi the stripped ribs
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2008, 05:05 AM
well, a lot of dogss come into rescue because of chewing. so as they were chewing before they became rescue dogs, i would say the answer to the question is no.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Jack's a rescue, we got him when he was 11 months old, we knew he had bean beaten up and thrown across a room by his previous owner.

He has never chewed anything he shouldn't have, mind you he was extremly nervous when we first got him and too afraid to do anything at first, so maybe he thought he would get a beating if he did, we also made sure he had plenty of toys and chewing things as well, but again it took him a while to realize they were for him.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
well, a lot of dogss come into rescue because of chewing. so as they were chewing before they became rescue dogs, i would say the answer to the question is no.
This is a very good point, I guess one of the main reasons people will give dogs up to rescue is damage to the house,
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Della our last boxer (RIP) who we had from a breeder at 12 weeks old chewed my glasses and the corner of the carpet while she was a pup, she never did anymore damage than that and had run of the house. Absolute Angel she was.
Fred who we got from a breeder at 12 weeks old chewed his fluffy beds and trainers etc if these were left out when he was a pup, so he has blankets and plastic bed when he's left now just in case.
Mya we got from a breeder at 7 weeks, she was a right chewer as a young pup she chewed numerous books, cds, dvds, lino, wall, plants etc etc she has definitely been the worse!! She's not chewed anything for ages though so fingers crossed
My mum had a rescue lurcher, she never chewed anything
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >