Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
Just a little bit of general advice bearing in mind I am no expert.

I have a springer who is 100% manic and would run in free exercise all day and still be up for more. Simple physical exercise does not tire a dog out, it just makes them fitter and wanting more tomorrow.

One has to exercise their minds as well as their bodies. Ailla, my springer, settles far better after 30 minutes of training (sitting, staying, controlled hunting and retrieving) than she does after a two hour free running exercise session.

I know of many people that walk for miles with their dogs and when they get home the dog is bored and playing up within the hour. This is because the animal hasn't been mentally exercised.

My suggestion would be, try and find an activity (agility, obedience training etc.) that will make the dog think and you may find the dog will settle better and not cause so much damage.

Steve
yes I understand what youre saying. Ben does get a lot of mental stimuli we play hide and seek, find the cup with the treat. He also goes to training classes every week. We are constantly trying to think up new games for him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 02:58 PM
He will also be going through a secondary teething phase at the minute so will need to chew. I would keep offering alternatives to the things he's chewing. Try different things in the kong, try one of the pyramids or a treat cube thing. Keep trying. Stevel's advice is excellent too,instead of doing half an hours ball throwing, try and wear him out mentally. Good luck.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I hope I'm not stepping out of line here, but I agree with what all have said about chewers, but can not get out of my head the point you make about him having a manic period.

Can I just say that he is around the right time to start teaching flyball too, he won't do the running bit if he's only 9 months, but he will learn how to operate and what will be expected............could you join somewhere, I really have the feeling that he may need a lot of mental exercise too. Brain training, tires them out alot more

Just a thought. Good luck
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks youngstevie. I know this is going to sound daft and I am blushing already but what exactly is Flyball and what does it consist of.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Well they are taught to (depends too on what box they use) push a knob/button with there foot ball comes out they race to fetch it back. It takes time to teach it to them, (some are slower than others) so don't expect brilliance straight away, but it works thier brains and it becomes fun for them.Each lane is fenced off and they race each other.
I have enroled Bruce and Skye starting Septembe, Skye is old enough to do the racing back and forth, Bruce will just be taught the basics as he is only 9 months, but they get to meet other dogs (all breeds can do it) you can go to the lengths of becoming a competative level or keep it just for fun (which I want to do...fun only)Then later when Bruce passes 12 months I am starting him on the agility at the same place.

These 3 have loads and loads of exercise, but this makes them use thier brains too, which with this breed can become a problem if left without the mental stimulation (which I am sure you know).....hence chewing/bored (even when your in the house)
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks Youngstevie, will check that out to see if there is a club near me
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Anytime Hun.............BC's eh! who'd have um, (Only joking) I am sure he'd love it and it will make him feel he's doing something....two of mine have to have JOBS to do.....can you believe that
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:41 PM
also you might want to check out any agility classes near you. These are great for burning off excess energy in a controlled way.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
also you might want to check out any agility classes near you. These are great for burning off excess energy in a controlled way.
Another great idea.......................works wonders
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Morning all, thanks for all the sound advice. I have looked into the Flyball (now I know what it is lol ) There is a club not too far from me in Knutsford so will go and have a look. fingers crossedkxxx
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >