Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2008, 10:04 AM

Help needed for lead training

I know I have asked for advise on this topic before, but I have still had no luck! Jenna is my very nervous rescue dog, who we have now had for 1and half years, We have won her over on everything except the lead.I have got her used to a collar now, she shivers for about 10 mins when I first put it on, we have cut a lead short and attached and she will wander around nervously, try holding it and she sits tight with terror in her eyes. We have tried long lead and pulling her and she goes mental, treats dont work either. She sees Jodie on her lead and loving it, and going to beach daily with oh, I have sat on grass for over 1 hour holding lead and she wont budge. Do i give up or has anyone any miracle answer!!!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Have you tried a harness. She may have an exceptionally negative association with a lead, and a harness has a different feel.
Mary
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:20 PM
poor girl that sound horrible

I wouldnt pull with the lead
How about a long line tied to you somewhere nice like the park and you wonder away from her a bit and just ignore her and let her move in her own time??
Sounds like you are making progress - but it will be slowley slowly
Also might be worth trying that anything she enjoys only happens with the wee bit of the lead on?? food, toys, walks all have the wee lead on 1st - but you make no fuss of it - clip it on then when she is relaxed do the fun thing
so eventually she knows fun happens when the lead is on and she starts looking forward to it
then when she is more confident just touch the lead when she is moving - gently for a sec and then leave her??

afraid as you know there is no mirical - baby steps
Harness sounds like a good idea too
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Have you tried training her to do heelwork @ home without a lead using titbits/toys etc ? I do all my initial training off lead @ home, you could then graduate to a short light lead attached to her collar, but without you holding it, & do the training exactly the same as before. Then eventually hold the lead but never let it get tight & continue to train.

I only do very short bits of heelwork(2/3 steps @ first then gradually increase the number), for a few minutes two/three times a day @ first
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with the harness suggestion. I use the Halti harness which is supposed to mimic the body wrap tellington touch hold, it definately calms Tonks and should also help with anxious dogs.

I wouldn't pull on the lead either....try the harness on her and then when she is happy with that tie a very very light line or ribbon to it and let her trail that around, later on you could pick up the ribbon momentarily and reward her while you are holding it then drop it again.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Neither of my boys particularly like a collar, so hoping the link I have sent you help Jenna x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:38 PM
hi hun does your doglet wear her collar all the time or just for walks, as i had a dog that could not get on with a collar and found out not worn one at all so was scared when put on. We found a light weight collar and left it on and played with dog so it was not thinking of the collar, if we took it of and put back on went back to being scared.

We left it on then did what you did added the lead again a very light one and left it on playing with dog etc we did this over a few days put it on played gave treats etc then we took the dog in the car to the park we carried the dog to the car first as to not scare before going out.

once at the park put a long line on then played there lots of treats and toys after about 3days the dog was fine with the lead and collar and has not looked back.

hope it helps and good luck hun. thinking of you.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I copied and pasted this from another dog forum. I posted this with someone who's puppy was frightened of being walked on the lead. I hope it provides some ideas.

If she runs away from it at the moment, I'd get the lead and collar and put it on the floor in a popular place (say the lounge room?) and just leave it there for a few days until she doesn't care about it anymore.

I like the idea of feeding her with it on. If that's too much, feed her next to her collar and lead.

I would be rewarding step by step of the process... So reward her for looking at collar, moving towards collar, touching collar, having collar move towards her (not moving away from it), having the collar touch her (not moving from it), having the collar touch her near her head/neck, then just her neck, then some fiddling near her neck, then some more fiddling, then an actual buckling up and quick undo. ETC ETC.

At the moment you are asking too much... "Allow me to put this on (even though you hate it), allow me to lead you by it (when you hate it)". Wearing a collar and walking on lead is often lumped together - your puppy obviously needs you to break things up and reward steps towards what you want.

As a side note, the issue I had with my puppy was the putting on/off of the collar/harness. Just too many ants in her pants! I rewarded her for still quiet behaviour as I increased the duration of me fiddling around her neck. She had little aversion to it being on, just the process of it being put on and off. In this instance I broke things down and rewarded the things she was uncomfortable with to form a more positive association.
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer me so much good advise, I am determined to win Jenna this time and with all the great suggestions I know I will!! Look forward to posting a picture of myself Jodie and JENNA on the beach!! xxx
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, an update on my progress with Jenna!! I am so excited, after 6 weeks of trying with ribbon attached to collar, and just leaving it to trail after her, TODAY I took the plunge and put on extension lead fixed at its longest, held onto handle and she walked with me!! brought her gradually closer to me as we went along, had a couple of sit down and refusals, but just waited untill she was ready to stop being so stubborn. This is a major break through for me and her, and thanks so much everybody for your great advise xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >