Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't think anyone can deny that some people do have a genuine reason to claim benefits. For those genuine claimants, I am grateful the system is there (as are they, I'm sure). But something NEEDS to be done about these people who are physically able to work but choose not to do so, opting to live off the taxpayers for their entire life. It is a very sad state of affairs when those who do not work, do not contribute to society and choose to remain on benefits EARN BETTER and in many cases LIVE BETTER than many of those who work full time. That is very, very twisted.

I totally agree with you and there are things in place to tackle this unfortunatly i beleive its a game of catch up that the government alone will never acheive. I think its all our responsabilities to create a better social enviroment and to show and enspire people to a fairer and more satisfying life, for me that was with women and children, lots of whom took the harder option because it gave them something better than money back, that being pride. This i know works and i hope will mean a totally different way of life for their children!

I have a friend who works 6 days a week and can only just afford the rent and utilities on his flat. Obviously, he can't afford to splash out on too many luxuries; just the basics. By contrast, there is a family living on the other side of our village with 6 children. Neither parents work and ever have done (the man is Nigerian), yet they have a 5 bedroom council house with a large garden, a BMW on the drive and I believe go on holiday quite regularly.

I can totally see how this appears on the face of it unfair and unjust and maybe it is?, if you truly beleive that there is wrong doing, then report it as benefit cheating.
But as a nigerian man, it may be that he is not allowed to work as those who seek asylum are bound by policy which does not allow them to work depending on their status.
Anyone can apply for a house from the council, but it is your circumstances of need that decide how soon you are allocated housing.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I remember you were. I dont think you were given correct info to be honest, who gave you it?
Many of the women at the hostel still continued to work and were working when they came into the hostels and others got employment after fleeing their partners as a way to financial independence from their partners.
ts the hostels place to give sanctuary to all women fleeing DV as as you wrightly said the service should and as far as im aware available to all.
For anyone in this situation, the best people to contact are womens aid.
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Lorna, here is the info from womens aid on what you can do in your situation< i dont know if thats the kind of advice you were given?
http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-survivors-handbook.asp?section=000100010008000100320002
I can't remember who I called now it must have been women's aid, I was told that I was welcome to accomodation, but it would be no where near where I was working so that I could not be found and that they only provided accommodation to people who could not afford to provide it for themselves, and I didn't 'technically' fall into that category as I was working full time. I remember calling a couple of times to plead with them, it was horrible.
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12