View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 08:13 AM

One dog going a puppy arriving (Guide Dog puppy carers)

Had the phone call yesterday, Ember is due in for advanced training in 2 weeks!!! Arghhhh!!! Very sad and I'm sure he knows! )He's getting lots of extra cuddles and I know that's only going to make it worse for him.
On a more positive note, on the day he leaves our latest addition will arrive ( a straight swop!)Saturn, a black flat coated retriever!!! He'll be 8 weeks old. We're all chuffed to bits, especially at having the chance to get to know a flat coat, but feel like we're betraying Ember as he's still with us and we're literally doing a straight swop on the day On the other hand that's perfect for my son, who'll go to school upset after saying goodbye to Ember and return home excited about meeting the new addition!
Hard couple of weeks ahead. I hate the goodbyes, they're sooo hard and Ember is a special dog.(But aren't they all!!!!!!) Sorry just had to share...
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

22-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I have a great admiration for people that train young pups to be helping dogs of any kind be it guide dogs hearing dogs etc......

I cannot imagine how hard it must be to let you doglet go.....(((xxxxx)))

Howver on this occasion you have a small solace in that you will have another wee doglet, to help and guide.......
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Must be hard to let the pups go no matter that you know from the start that it is inevitable. I wish Ember well and I am sure he will be a credit to you Are there many flatcoats working as Guide Dogs? Do keep us up to date with Ember's progress and tell us all about the new boy when he arrives
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 10:30 AM
it must be hard to see one move and give your love to another dog but if you dont want to look after the flatcoat we will have him (only joking as we have a colliex flatcoat who is adorable)

good luck and i admire what you do for those doglets
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Aww, hugs to you. You're doing such a great and brave thing. It will be sad for Ember to leave but he will have a great life, so don't feel guilty about enjoying your new pup
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I really admire you for doing this,I'm sure it will be sad for you but be positive and think of all the work you have done to help him on his way
Well done
Sal
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Well Done You :smt023 Can I ask, what would Happen if someone fell so in Love with a Pup that they could not part with it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi!!!
Thanks everyone...good news is that we may have Ember until the end of March now...yippeee...and a house with 2 dogs, one year old mad pup ( Ember) and new flat coat pup and 5 year old son....arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(OH not tooooo impressed but is resigning himself to it!!!!)
To answer a couple of things, no, there aren't many flat coats working as Guide dogs Shadow Boxer so we're especially lucky to be able to have this pup at walk. He's not Guide dog bred either which is unusual, he's coming from a private breeder! I love being able to get experience of breeds I wouldn't necessarily own!
Amie, we've considered moving and not telling Guide dogs, we love this one sooooo much!!!! The sad thing is they HAVE to go, they are never your dog, always Guide Dogs, so no matter how much you love them they still gotta go!!! I thought it would make me hold some love back, knowing that, but it doesn't, you have to put so much time and energy in you can't help but be smitten!!!! Awwww!
Your comments are all so kind, I sometimes feel selfish doing puppy walking as I love it, the only horrible part is giving them back!!! I know lots of people who haven't been able to cope with that bit and so don't walk more than one or two, but there are many more who've walked 10 and over!!! I live in awe of some of the people I've met! But I can HIGHLY recommend puppy walking!
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 06:12 PM
wow i envy you the strength to be able to do this vital work , emotional strenth i mean , im much too selfish , its the sort of thing id love to br able to do but know i never could as i get much too involved im sending you a rep point , well done you :smt026 :smt041
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 07:49 PM
OOOOOOOOOH I know how that feels

I puppy walked til 2 years ago. My first one,I sobbed my heart out, the second a few tears.

I've got the photos up in the living room to remind me of what great dogs they are .

It's like one of your kids graduating from uni, they make you soooo proud
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >