Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Roxy being left alone - Good update?

Well, I got back from visiting the local Kennels, And I dont know what to think, I've never seen boarding kennels before so dont know if these are normal or not.

The woman was really friendly, showed me around, it looked like a rescue centre as all the dogs barking and whining, horrible to hear There was one outside concreted area where the dogs can run around freely, but she did promise all the dogs get walked at least 3 times a day through the woods etc. Roxy was extremely terrified there, think it was all the barking dogs. Rooms were about 4ft by 6ft? Anyway this lady showed me her Fawn Dobermann (never seen one before) it was Crazy! and a 12 week old bull terrier.

Anyway a little bit defalted I started working on leaving Roxy in the house whilst I waited around. Well anyway. 2 mins no barking, 5 mins fine, 10 mins fine, half an hour... Fine! Not even a peep. I went to my neighbours house for a chat to see what she can actually hear and we were both shocked that she didn't make a sound the whole time I was there

I cant work my dog out

Anyway just went out for a game of fetch and saw my neighbour up the road on her way out, was chatting to her and explained the situation and she offered to have Roxy She is going to clear it with her OH but he is in and asleep all day and she gets home at 4pm so she doesn't think it'll be a problem??

Not getting hopes up, but either way looks like we may not have to kennel her after all!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:05 PM
oohh that sounds good(the neighbours taking care of her) never been to a kennels in my life so can't advise you what they should be like hope things work out o.k and you don't need to kennel her
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
The woman was really friendly, showed me around, it looked like a rescue centre as all the dogs barking and whining, horrible to hear

Thats pretty normal for any kennels!
Dogs never shut up!
It's not a bad thing that they are barking, and they do get louder/more vocal when people are walking through.

Do the kennels have an indoor and an outdoor bit to them?
We have different sized kennels, but all have an indoor and an outdoor part.
Our small kennel runs are about 4' x 6 to 8' (not sure exactly) - thats just the outside part.

How many dogs do they hold?
Because no offence, 3 walks per day, per dog sounds like a lot of walks.
We certainly don't have time to walk that many dogs that many times a day!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2006, 04:13 PM
The one thing dogs are guaranteed to learn in kennels is to BARK. The room sizes sound a little small and did they have access to an outside run attached to each kennel? They should do. The kennels we use have a large field for the dogs to have off lead play sessions as well. Thought this was normal.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks Hevvur, I wondered that with only 2 people there!

Right the kennels themselves do not have open areas, they are all indoors, the only open area the dogs has is when it is let out to this outside concrete block. Whilst I was there I saw 7 dogs in the kennels. and they have 4 dogs of their own, 2 in kennels and 2 in their house. Apparently they hire other people in if it gets too busy?

Thanks Trouble, I know dogs are bound to bark, but I'm worried it may distress Roxy? I dont know if this can happen?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks Hevvur, I wondered that with only 2 people there!

Right the kennels themselves do not have open areas, they are all indoors, the only open area the dogs has is when it is let out to this outside concrete block. Whilst I was there I saw 7 dogs in the kennels. and they have 4 dogs of their own, 2 in kennels and 2 in their house. Apparently they hire other people in if it gets too busy?
So it is only a small kennels then. 3 walks per dog per day would be possible I suppose.
(We house over 80 dogs!)

Do they spend all day in the open area? Together, or alone?
Not sure i like the idea of them not having access to outside all the time though (sorry).

With regards to the barking - they cope more than you would realise!
Most dogs are worse when their owners are there. They generally calm down once the owners have left.
Teagan doesn't bark in kennels at all!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:20 PM
No thats fine, I need to know what Kennels should be like as I've never had to use one before...

They never mix the dogs (she told me that sternly) so the dogs go into the open area by themselves. (theres a few toys in there)

Thanks about the barking thing, I think I just worry too much
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I think she will join in with the barking, Syd was a pain in the a*** when he came out of kennels in January, It took a good 3 weeks to shut the bug*er up. Which isn't funny
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Oooh that sounds great if your neighbour will have Roxy whilst you're at work! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both. I think Roxy will much prefer that!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:22 PM
No thats fine, I need to know what Kennels should be like as I've never had to use one before...

They never mix the dogs (she told me that sternly) so the dogs go into the open area by themselves. (theres a few toys in there)

Thanks about the barking thing, I think I just worry too much
Hmm, so they don't spend long outside then.
Don't know if any other kennels are just inside!

Neither of my dogs bark in kennels, or when they come home (apart from when people knock on the door).
Some dogs never shut up in kennels - we have an Akita in at the moment, and she even barks when she's eating aqnd drinking
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >