Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:35 PM

Minature Poodle owners

Does anyone on here own or know anything about Miniature poodles?

Looking for first hand experience of them please.

I am aware a lot depends on their breeding and more so on their upbringing.

Do you need to be an experienced dog owner?
What are they like family wise? such as are they one man dogs?
What are they like with other pets
Would you class them suitable for a responsible 13 + 14 year old girls to walk - under supervision.
What are they like in general.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I can only speak from my Experience of Toy Poodles I was reared with them as a young girl. Fabulous, hardy little dogs that fit well into family life. Our Poodle is a cross (we belive with something like a Wheaten Terrier) shes been a great addition to this family shes now in her later years of life, she never ceases to amaze me with the wonderful love she has for other children however small or big and she absolutely adores other dogs of all shapes and sizes. Great first time dog for anyone, plus they are a VERY intellegent breed and like I say one that does fit well into family life
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I have heard they are very intelligent dogs, very loyal and energetic.
I am sorry I dont know anything first hand. My step mother had one as a child/teenager, she loved him to bits!

Will quiz her and let you know!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Thank you both very much.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi Kazz don't be deceived by looks , they are not namby papby little dogs as some may thing but highly intelligent and good to train . They also don't shed which can be a great asset

Do you need to be an experienced dog owner? All dogs benefit from this ..
What are they like family wise? great such as are they one man dogs? no What are they like with other pets good
Would you class them suitable for a responsible 13 + 14 year old girls to walk - under supervision. yes
What are they like in general.As above
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Mini Do you know someone who has them? my sister and family are considering a dog next year (possibly) their shortlist is CKCS and Min Poodle.

Do you know if their is a personality diffference between the colours? they would I think be sticking with black or white
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 09:50 PM
We have had 3 toy poodles in the past and they were lovely dogs and very clever. I got my first toy poodle when I was 21 and he was an apricot poodle that lived until he was 17 years old, he was a lovely lad. There isn't a lot of difference size wise between a toy and a miniature. They are quite hardy little dogs and very affectionate and loyal. The only drawback is that they need trimming every 6-8 weeks and grooming regularly so their coat doesn't go into matts.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi Kazz have you read SBs lovely profile ot the Min poodle?
http://www.dogsey.com/poodle-miniature.htm

I don't know many poodle people these days, I am no longer able to go to shows, being the same group as Shnauz we were always benched near each other.
To find a good poodle breeder I would contact a breed club, the addresses are on the net and on the KC website as is a list of KC approved breeders, (no guarantee but a start). I know the rarer colours like Apricots were always more expensive.

I don't know if there is any difference in the temperaments of the different colours either, the ones I met always seemed pretty much the same .I don't know if the whites have any more problems like skin problems, might be worth looking it up. If all things are equally think I would go for black as being the least trouble (no staining around the eyes/mouth feet).
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 10:39 PM
My first dog was a poodle cross. Black one and he was lovely. Even temperament and good with everyone. As all dogs, he got a bit grumpy as he got older but I was 15 when we got him and he was wonderful Good for allergy sufferers as they don't shed.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
My first dog was a poodle cross. Black one and he was lovely. Even temperament and good with everyone. As all dogs, he got a bit grumpy as he got older but I was 15 when we got him and he was wonderful Good for allergy sufferers as they don't shed.
Yes they are very clever dogs aren't they Wuffle - our Benji (yes our poodle was called Benji too ) had lots of squeaky toys that he loved and he never destroyed them and he kept them all in a corner and we could ask him to get one by name and he would always come back with the right one. He had a father christmas one and we would say - go and get your Christmas and he would come trotting back with it in his mouth - he was amazingly clever.

This was him as a puppy with our other dog Judy

And this was him in his snow coat - it stopping all the snow sticking to his legs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >