Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 01:46 PM

horrible dog walk

took chey out this morning for a walk shiloh didnt want to go he wanted to stay in so of me and chey went having a real lovely time playing ball and hide and seek and all of a sudden chey dropped to the floor and started crawling along the ground then quickly sat up as i looked up a man with a huge rottie was walking his dog he was gorgeous the fella asked if chey was alright round other dogs i said yes no problems chey started wagging his tail and wanting to give paw the fella made a fuss of chey and all of a sudden the dog snapped at cheys face if i hadnt of had a quick reaction to pull back chey the dog would of had chey the fella said that his dog had never done this before it frightened the cobs of me, chey just sat there wondering what was going on and the fella couldnt apolgize more he said perhaps his dog reacted like this cos he was smoothing chey i accepted the fellas apolgie cos no harm was done but did say after all the attention of the papers regarding this breed its better to make sure you have a muzzle when out next cos if it happens again the next person may not be so nice he said yes your right well ive just seen the man again out with his dog and he has a muzzle on his lead at least he took my advice
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Aww poor Chey I'm glad you stopped him from getting bitten.
Sounds like the man is responsible though At least he has taken your advice.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2006, 02:02 PM
The only problem with dogs Jen is that we humans sometimes dont understand canine body language and this Rottie may have seen Chey's actions as trying to be dominant over him.Im not excusing this Rottie,but cause i have owned one before,i know that they are a dominant breed and snapping,snarling is just their way of maintaining hyarachy when they feel their position could be compromised.

Vegas is forever being snapped at by other dogs Jen cause of his body language (tail bolt upright,staring and looking alert) and he is himself a dominant dog who refuses to be submissive with others.Vegas dont growl,but if allowed-he will mount them which again is dominancy.

Abe was a bossy boots with other dogs and he too would snap or snarl at them if they got too much for him,but never needed to actually bite cause he was quite vocal.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Poor Chey!!

Very true what you said to him! If it had been someone less rational and knowledgable, he could have been in big trouble! Also, he does seem responsible. Made me think twice about him getting a muzzle so quickly (did he have it at home?).

Probably not, I am being too suspicious!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 02:11 PM
aww thank you brandiesnap hes alright
aww thanks steve i agree with what you have said it just frighened me to see a dog so well behaved and then turn just like that no harm was caused just fright chey has never gone for any other dog he juts likes to make a fuzz when i say its ok but it was just how quck it all happened yes it could of been worse but it wasnt and beings both dogs were entire i guess this made it worse but all ended ok and at least hes taking my advice about a muzzle wouldnt want to see anyone or anyones dog hurt through no ones fault.

aww thank you miss potter someone else may not of been understanding and could of been funny about it but no harm was done neither dog was hurt just chey frighened but hes alright i think the man must of had a muzzle at home cos he only lives down the bottom of the village but it was nice to see him bring it on his mext walk safety comes first even if a muzzle does make a dog look nasty
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Glad chey is ok and that the man was nice about it.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:25 PM
aww thanks lynn yes chey is fine no harm done just frightened us both the man was so nice couldnt apolgise more
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:25 PM
hmm agree with Steve - canine body language is a whole different game. Suki tends to exert her dominance by getting bitchy with other dogs - but only when they look at her wrong. The only dogs she's submissive with is my sister's two border collies - but they are top dog and she's learned quickly not to noise them up too much.

Glad Chey is okay - you do have two beautiful natured dogs there as I know that Suki would have retaliated just as fast.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:29 PM
aww thanks trikeschick i just dont understand why the dog snapped he seemed fine at first very friendly with me and chey untill the owner of him was paying attention to chey and then he snapped but no harm was done
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:33 PM
When Suki was down here in Wales her best friend was a beagle called Stanley. A right grumpy dog but nonetheless she fell in love with him.

OH had some liver cake and went to feed it to Stanley - Suki flipped out and started yapping and snapping at Stanley. Jealousy can be a very unattractive trait in our four-legged friends!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >