Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Ooops, well at least I know she can swim

Had our usual morning ritual of feeding the fish today, Rio and Syd love to go down the other end of the garden where the pond is. We have a gate between the patio and the rest of the garden as I don't like them running about around the pond. Anyway, as soon as they see me get the fish food out of the cupboard they follow my every move, sit by the gate until I say it's ok to go in, then go straight to the pond for a nosey. All the fish immediately come to the surface for feeding and we have lots of little babies this year so I make sure they all get a share. The fish range in size from about half an inch to about 12 inches. The pond is quite deep and has fairly steep sides apart from planting ledges, so it averages about 3 foot deep around the edges and about 4 foot 6 in the middle. One minute Rio is drinking from the edge but watching the cat on top of the bar-b-q, who is in turn watching the butterflies, next thing without even looking she went to run towards the cat in a straight line, unfortunately for her the pond was between her and the cat. With an enormous splash she found herself in the pond , she just swam to the opposite side and waited for me to help her out. So yes she can swim but lets hope she does it in the lake in future rather than the garden pond. Hopefully the fish haven't been to traumatised by the great lump landing on them in the middle of their brekky.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Opps indeed but it made me laff
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Lol, im sure the fish are fine, just happy to be fed.

I hope she isnt too upset about getting wet!
Meg
Supervisor

30-09-2006, 12:06 PM
let's hope Rio doesn't remember the fish are there next time she feels peckish
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 01:12 PM

That really did make me laugh! Bless her!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 01:14 PM
aww bless her rio the fish pond baby
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Made me laugh too, once I had her back on dry land.
She didn't seem at all bothered to be honest, I tried not to make a big deal out of it and she just carried on as normal. We stayed up by the pond for a bit and she acted like nothing had happened and she is normally quite careful round the edge.
Funnily enough although they both drink out of the pond neither of them seem very interested in the fish, and the fish just ignore them and carry on eating which probably explains the size of some of them
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Sorry but made me laugh too, poor Rio, although I think the fish would have got a worse fright.

Ian
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 03:36 PM
awh poor Rio but I'm sorry I can visualise the scene and it must have been like a cartoon unfolding before your eyes.

I also had to laugh because it's the kind of thing that Suki would do too - to hell with the consequences, see something and must have it (especially butterflies - they're her favourite!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Oh I'm sure you can picture the scene The thing is she leaves her brain in neutral sometimes, I think it's her age She just ran straight towards the cat and butterflies and took this almighty leap straight into the middle of the pond, went completely under the water. Popped up like a cork with a look of OMG then just swam to the side. I must admit I was impressed she stayed so calm and took it all in her stride. Still having a chuckle though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >