Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 07:58 AM
You know your dogs better than we do!

Personally, I know that my terrier is going to do terrier stuff - ripping things up, shaking and "killing" stuff, digging. I choose to give her outlets for this behaviour rather than let her get it out of her system in some less predictable, and much naughtier way! To me it's a bit like letting her bite at me as a young puppy, so that she can learn bite-inhibition. She does have squeaky toys, but they only come out under supervision because

1. We say when the games start and finish here!
2. She does like to shred things, and we don't want her to choke on a squeaker
3. We get on pretty well with our neighbours, and want it to stay that way!

I've read in some places that playing tug-of-war leads to aggression in dogs, but I've also read a much more convincing rebuttal of this statement. Bongo and I love playing tug, as well as chasing games and play-fighting, all things which I'm sure I could be criticised for. Bongo plays by my rules, however, only I initiate these games, and when I stop, so does she. I think it gives her a chance to be a dog, but in a controlled environment, where she can't get into trouble for it
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 08:32 AM
My JR and I also play tug, play fight and she loves squeaky toys but we also play in a controlled way and initiated by me. Theres never been any sign of aggression on her part during play. Shes always on lead in public and is allowed to greet kids- she loves em- but she doesn't "play" with them- only humans she plays with are me and my friend-always supervised by me. Its all about having control/supervising your dog at all times isnt it ?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 08:45 AM
I think it's about knowing your own dogs and being happy about what you do with them.
I teach our dogs that they must give us their toys every time we ask and when I say play has finished it has finished. They are never allowed to grab toys from any of us at any point...
All our pups have had a special soft toy each and they love them...infact Spotty dog returned to his rightful owner not long ago and the dog still adores it...
It's about knowing your dog...our dogs can know the difference between their cuddly toys and my sons...
They also have squeaky toys...but the squeak doesn't last with the Biffters about..
It's about peronal preference and training...entirely up to the individual I think...you know your dogs the best!!!!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Mine get squeaky toys. They can tell the difference between the toy and having a wrestle with my youngest son who has a high pitched laugh when he plays with them. Its amazing to watch these two strong dogs be so gentle with my son.
Same here (well replace son with two nephews) its a different sound at the end of the day and I personally do not make the connection.

Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
My JR and I also play tug, play fight and she loves squeaky toys but we also play in a controlled way and initiated by me.
Again same here, Roxy plays tug, and stops when I say so, we play fight (well she play fights quite hard with my OH) but again if he says stop she will, she is very good at things like that, so I believe she can play with anything she likes as long as its controlled.

Also I will say here (my opinion) I do not think toys make aggressive dogs or even spur it on. Bad owners make aggressive dogs...
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 09:52 AM
1. We say when the games start and finish here!
Exactly!

Mine are not allowed squeaky toys (basically because the noise drives me round the twist ) they all enjoy a game of 'tug' wether it be with me or with my daughter under strict supervision, they love it!
I wouldn't say it encourages aggression (mine have never shown any) we've played 'tug' for years with dogs we have owned it's about knowing when to stop them before they become over excited
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Well neither of mine have squeaky toys. Partly because they are ripped in seconds and i dont want them to swallow the squeaker (however much fun and amusement it may cause to have a dog that squeaks when you squeeze it!) but also because i also heard that theory that the high pitched noises some babies or children can make might be associated with squeaky toys and thus treated the same. We dont have children as yet but i hope to in the next 5 years and (touch wood) both dogs will be healthy and able to accept any new additions to the family.

To be honest though, Murphy's favourite toy is a giant hyde bone and Vienna's is one of my trainer socks or Murphy's head and neck!! They also like to play together (and with me) tug of war with various tuggy toys or chew on various chewy toys. But as i say all their toys are either some form of tugger or designed for chewing. Also while they have a few select toys to play with when i am out, mostly they play when i initiate it.

Always amuses me when Vienna starts playing with her sockie - tossing it around, flinging it in the air, pouncing on it, shaking it etc. However i have always made sure i can take whatever i want from them, be it food or toys. Vienna is a diamond for giving stuff up but Murphy can sometimes hold onto it and growl. I know its just a bluff to try and get to keep it! He soon gives in though because he knows he cant get away with that behaviour and that i am Big Momma and if i want something i get it lol. I guess the growling is just resisdual issues from before i got him (he is a rescue and had the most awful habits and no training - possible was also abused but dont know for sure)

At the end of the day i really have no idea if certain toys make some dogs more aggressive. I guess it really would depend on the individual dog and their personality and their owners and upbringing. I personally dont like squeakers cos they cause too much noise and mess and they are a lot more expensive and give less pleasure than a pair of cheapo socks from tesco!
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
I've read in some places that playing tug-of-war leads to aggression in dogs, but I've also read a much more convincing rebuttal of this statement.
I've read both sides of the tugging argument too. To be on the safe side I'm not playing tugger with Lula until she's a little older and is completely happy with her place in the pack. She still tests the water occasionally (although these tests are getting very rare now).

I used to play tugger with my last staffie. He loved, loved, loved it. He would even growl (a lot) in a very excited happy way. However he always gave the tugger back to me instantly on command even at the absolute height of excitement and I would regularly put my fingers into his mouth will he was tugging. It was a great fun, energetic bonding game for the both of us and one of the things I miss so much about him (he only died in May and we're still coming to terms with the loss - Lula is helping though).
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 11:13 AM
The only problem with tugging it that you have to win the game every time. As long as you do that, its a great game. I find it particularly interesting that Roxy makes growling noises when she plays tug with the kids, but doesn't make a peep when playing with us?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by LongDogLady View Post
Hello there - at one of our first dog training classes the trainer was quite insistent that we do not buy 'squeaky' type toys for our dogs, especially as we have children. His reasoning was that the noise made by these toys is similar to the noises made by young children and may confuse the dogs as to what squeaky things it is OK to chew on

Needless to say our dogs toys are of the non squeaky type - just in case.
this is how i feel about them I run training classes/puppy play group and always advise against them,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Im not sure actually. I teach my dogs to have respect for their toys. I have one pink lamb that squeaks and I call Flopsy so my dogs know when flopsy comes out they can snuggle her.
My bitch is the main contender for Flopsey she adores her but does it no harm just likes it to talk (squeak) to her so she can nuzzle and howl at it. Its very endearing to watch.But I wont allow them to take Flopsey away as I think she deserves respect. Does that make sense?
I have a 17 week old kitten running around and rules the roost, but would never dream of leaving her without being supervised, dogs have a natural instinct still in them to hunt like pack animals whatever breed they are. Poodle, chihuahua, Spanial. toys bring out that instinct to me.
your dogs sound adorable and so well mannered my lot however well trained they may be go at there toys like a loony and often i resort to old car tyres for them and the odd traffic cone the shame of it these seem to be the only things that can take the rotts punishment for any lenght of time there so hard on there toys
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >