View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 08:05 AM
i think its unfair to blame certain breeds ....and its unfair to blame provocked dogs who bite ...........there are good and bad in all breeds in the wrong hands

speaking as cavalier owner a very gentle breed bad ones do excist i guess and if i had one that bit one of the kids totally unprovocked then the dog would have to be delt with .....thats not ment to be funny its ment to point out that all breeds have bad apples
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
DEFRA have issued a statement saying that despite the recent Rottweiler attacks-they have no intention in changing the current law because the vast majority of Rottweilers pose no problem.
Lets hope it stays that way. I am really worried for the future of all our bull and guarding breeds People are becoming hysterical.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
This is just getting ridiculous, it's obvious they are going out of their way to find rottie incidents and no other breeds. I have a friend with rotts and a friend with JRT's, I know that the rotts would only kiss me to death, but I know for deff the JRT's could put me in hospital! They are so bad they cannot allow strangers in the same room as the dogs!

Bet that wouldn't make the papers, but if it were rotties...

so sad people are so manipulative
I really don't think pointing the finger at other breeds is really going to help. I agree it is awful that Rotts are being singled out at the moment - it has happened in the past with Dobermanns and GSDs too - and it is wrong. However, we are all dog owners/lovers and we should be sticking up for ALL dogs, rather than saying that a Rottie is unlikely to bite you but (for example) a collie will.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Whats worrying about the stories - is that we hear so many versions.
All the newspapers said the man who hit the dog is a neighbour (not a workman).

One paper says the Grandmother was looking after the dog for someone.
Another says it's her partners dog.

One report says It was tethered on a long lead, because neighbours had been complaining it was roaming free.

One neighbour said the dog was always docile.
Other neighbours said it wasn't.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 03:24 PM
I caught a glimpse of my local news lunchtime, and again the top story was an actual interview with the owners of this particular rottie, so I'll watch it tonight and pass on their comments, as this will be from the horse's mouth so to speak won't it, as they are the actual owners.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 03:55 PM
it is all just shocking, i put a deposit on a pup rottie on saturday and have heard nothing but how bad these dogs are from family and tv.

Like i tell them, i have researched the breed through and through, spoken to many owners, every one state "i would have another tomorrow if i could"

i have spoken to behavourist and vets for their opinion on this breed, as i have never owned one before. They deal with many different dogs day in and day out and they have all told me what WONDERFUL dogs these are and the only behaviour issues they have come across is rescued dogs with past problems, and that is EVERY breed not just rotties.

I also took months to choose a breeder and didn't just buy the first one i saw from the local paper even though they were half the cost. I met his mum and dad and nan who where all smashing with my children.,

As i would with any new pup i was thinking of owning.
I plan to do obedience and agility later and will show all the critics what beautiful dogs these are. It is a shame that on a week my family and i should be excited and looking forward to our new addition we have also had to defend our decision to small minded people.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes I quite understand how depressed you must be with all this unnecessary hype. On the one hand you're getting all excited about your new puppy and so you should be, and yet you're also probably worried about all the flack you might get from other dog owners you're going to meet when you take him out to explore the world, let alone the flack you might get from non-dog owners about getting a puppy of this breed, I dread to think. Hopefully though, you'll take it all in your stride and give them as good as you get, and show them just how fantastic, sweet and kind and obedient these dogs truly are! I feel for you, I really do, but please don't let it ruin your excitement, and after all, why should it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, not only were the parents of the 2yr. old on the local news tonight being interviewed, but the top story tonight, was a 4yr. old getting attacked in Hampshire, by a bulldog, and they had them live on the tv showing the child's face all stitched up!!!! Apparently, that attack was because they took it's muzzle off to feed it and it went for the child!

The parents of the 2yr. old in Chichester Hospital were interviewed and the mother said they were out, the mother was looking after the child. The dog (rottie) broke free from it's tether and attacked the child for NO reason. She couldn't bear to look at her child's face when she arrived at casualty cos it was so bad and it's shoulder area, with all open wounds. She said her rottie was a lovely dog, and anybody would have loved to have taken him out, and this was totally out of character They seemed quite normal people if you know what I mean, not morons, but what I want to know is, why did they keep the dog tethered in the garden then??? Maybe because it had got out before? Maybe because they didn't like it near the child when they were out? Don't know the answer myself.

You watch, it will be my breed next!!!! Watch this space!
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 06:12 PM
my friend lives down in chichester + they have a rottie + shes starting to worry
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
The only thing that's ever bitten me is a Westie It's disgusting the way the press sensationalises it! When will people realise that the biggest part of the problem is irresponsible owners, nothing to do with the breed of dog.

My brother was bitten by a Westie, nearly took his thumb off - `cute little lap dogs` [ in the media`s eyes ], doing it dont make the news though as the media cant whip up a ridiculous frenzie about the `sweet little doggies`.

It is beyond belief that in this day and age the human species can be so easily manipulated in to anti-dog witch hunts because of the reckless press.

Its about time humans realised that we have to live by some common sense basic rules where all animals are concerned. No animal is born knowing what we expect of them and if we [ humans ], bring them on badly, or make stupid basic errors with dogs and children, what do these people having hysterics over dogs [ not pandering to them by making it breed specific ! ] expect will happen ?

Pffft !
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >