View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Mine get veg - but only when they steal it from the bunnies, or from scraps. I think I feed more along the lines of Prey Model - but I am starting to feed more bone (experimenting based on Louie's poo!). Louie is currently on half and half kibble and raw atm (switching him back to kibble to go to the caravan) but as soon as we get back I will be feeding more bone alongside his meals, I also get minces that have bone in too.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I feed more along the lines of prey model... not too much bone, no fruit or vegs, no supplements etc.

I'm not sure exactly what percentages I feed, but it is roughly the 80% meat, 10% offal and 10% bone... I just changed the amounts until I found what suited Jake the best.
Same here. I used to weigh things out and balance carefully, now I mainly feed meat, chuch in bones, fish offal, tripe, leftovers, eggs, as and when I feel like it
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I just feed raw, don't stick to any formula tbh and they do get a fair bit of bone, definitely way more than 10%, they have bone with every meal and it probably makes up about half of the meal, the rest is chunks of various meat and tripe etc. I don't feed fruit and veg either but do add things such as yoghurt.
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I sort of feed prey plus tripe, carrots, etc and some times when we have a surplus of eggs, they get them too!!

After reading about this type of diet, i sort of made up my own , Bruce has always had a dodgy tummy, so i play it by ear really, the other two don't have any tummy problems.

I would say they have 80% meat 10% bone and 10% extras like offal, carrots or eggs etc,
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I am currently changing my dogs onto raw. I've looked into it before and found it a little overwhelming so left it as the odd chicken thigh treat etc. After talking to a friend on a GSD meet I decided to go for it (now that we have a patio too!). I'm going to try not to worry too much about whether it is BARF or prey and weights etc. I'm just hoping to make it work with my common sense and what works for the dogs!
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I fed my cats Pitcairn, which has you cook the meat and feed with a lot of veg matter, I used mashed potatoes or rice. The cats loved it. The cats are gone. By the time I got my border collie puppy, and having lost two dogs to bloat, I was sold on BARF. I initially followed it as outlined, using chicken backs, pigs feet, liver, raw eggs with shell, cooked carrots and green beans, a little oatmeal. By the way, oatmeal is a great thing to mix medicine in.

By age two I was feeding him very little vegetables and oatmeal. Then I discovered the "prey" model and that wolves do not really eat the contents of the stomach and intestines except by accident. I do feed carrots cooked with a roast, green beans cooked with meat, but it is occasional. And the occasional raisin.

I don't grind, that's silly. I just give the dog a chicken leg (or whatever) and he goes outside to eat it. Liver is used as a treat. That said, even if you do BARF with the oatmeal and vegetables, I think it is still so much better than commercial dog food.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2