Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Neutering is Not Neutral

Shortly off to the Nick Thompson Seminar on the above.

I am hoping to glean some facts rather than opinions, it looks as though it is a hot topic as the seminar was sold out some time ago.

Watch this space.........
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Watch this space.........
I will!

Its something I've given much though to recently and did give much consideration to the right time for Max.

I have since reflected much on Lady. She was spayed at an early age. I got her from Dogs Trust and they have strict conditions around spaying dogs withing 6 months. Lady was spayed at 6 months. at 4 1/2 years old she has hip arthiritis and i somethimes wonder if the early spaying was an influence. I have no evidence of this, but I do give it some thought.

Not sure if the seminar will cover the medical aspects, but will be interested to hear about it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I was firmly in favour of neutering until I had a bitch who was adversely affected by it. Until then it never crossed my mind that there could be a downside.
I think these days we have more information so are more likely to question the received wisdom.
I think this is a decision that needs to be made individually, according to the medical and social circumstances of each dog.
It is probably best for a 6 month old staffy bitch in an inner city rescue to be spayed , and spayed early, for instance. For a timid male Pointer who is still growing, it would probably not be a good idea to neuter.
I am glad this matter is being discussed publicly.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm really interested in what you learn from this seminar. I keep getting conflicting opinions as to whether having only one of my two litter-mate boys castrated will cause problems. Also if there is any actual hard evidence that dogs coats change and go fuzzy after castration. So many opinions and I have even had conflicting answers from two different vets It should be a great seminar, we'll be expecting a full transcript of the whole seminar ....... only kidding
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm also eagerly awaiting your thoughts on this seminar
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I'm really interested in what you learn from this seminar. I keep getting conflicting opinions as to whether having only one of my two litter-mate boys castrated will cause problems. Also if there is any actual hard evidence that dogs coats change and go fuzzy after castration. So many opinions and I have even had conflicting answers from two different vets It should be a great seminar, we'll be expecting a full transcript of the whole seminar ....... only kidding
I don't think a TT coat would be affected. I'm on the fence with my lad, mostly due to his coat. It's a tricky one isn't it?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Just to expand a bit on this one. I gave a lot of thought to when Max (my 5 month old male GSD) should be neutered.

If I try to summarise then I would say that I concluded neutering a male below 18-24 months affects hormones which affect growth rates in different joints. As I intend to do WT with him then I need an athletic well formed dog. So, my decision has been to wait until he is 18-24 mths.

However, for a pet dog, it may be acceptable, especially if there is any risk of an unwanted litter
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm really interested too.

I'm as yet undecided what to do with Kibo, whether to leave him entire or have him neutered.

Originally I was "with" my vets recommendation of having him done at 6 months old, but now, after being on this forum, I'm definitely not having him done that early. However, I'm still of a mind that it may be a possibility after he's matured.

I just don't know.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I am another one who will look forward to hearing about the seminar.

I have had entire and neutered/spayed dogs in the past and have decided to leave Zak entire unless there are any medical reasons that come to light to suggest he should be neutered.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I agree with all of you - its a minefield out there of opinions. I'm going to delay my decision anyway for another six months or so until my two are 18 months old, although they are fully grown now.
Four concerns with mine are: If I leave them entire they could drive themselves mad as the lady next to us breeds beardies and affenpinschers and therefore obviously has bitches on heat at times. : Their coats may all go fuzzy although I am now seriously thinking of giving them both a 'puppy cut'. : I will probably on be able to get one of them castrated because of the other have heart murmur. (getting him scanned on Tuesday, but it is very noisy!!) and that may upset the way they get on.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >