Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Over Zealous Playing

Could I have your thoughts please.......

Benson gets on amazingly well with another Boxer in our neighbourhood. We often meet up with Ty (bitch) and the two of them charge around together like there's no tomorrow.

The problem is, they keep injuring each other. Benson has a habit of nibbling on Ty's neck and face, and Ty has started the same back. They also grab each other's legs so that they crash to the ground.

After an hour-or-so walk, the two of them are covered in minor scratches, cuts, bruises etc. We don't want to keep them apart, but may have to if we cannot stop this level of rough play.

We thought of using a canister of compressed air that I've seen in Jollyes - a quick blast in the face when the behaviour is not acceptable.

Any ideas more than welcome...thank you.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Personally I would not worry to much Hammer, There just being boxers my three play quite rough all the time, They never do any major damage, I find with boxers they get very boisterous in play, And esp with mine it seems like they are really hurting one another but they aint, Its just very boisterous playing xxdk
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2008, 06:50 PM
My Dobies get covered in scratches and they have been trained to stop playfighting on command. I think it's normal canine behaviour so if it doesn't interfere with anyone else out walking I generally leave them to it. Although our walks are fairly varied so they never get the opportunity to do it for too long. Even when they chase the ball they are so competitive that they knock each other all over the place, but there is no malice involved.
The canisters of air are not intended to be sprayed in their face it's usually the noise that interupts the behaviour.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree with DK and Trouble.
Its good to have a, [ positive ], cue to calm them if needed, though in play they usually figure out between themselves when one has used a little too much pressure or gets too boistrous.
Mine rough play a great deal but if one does take an over-enthusiastic nip or bump, the reaction is enough to stop the other instantly and the one who was accidentally nipped re-instigates play when they are ready - which the other always waits for - canine communication at its best

I would`nt use a canister or other negative reinforcement for it - if you surprise them at the wrong moment they could associate the `surprise` of the canister sound with a hard play-nip and could then even start to get negative associations which can turn play into a fight imo, which is why a positive distracting cue would be best.

HTH
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 07:07 PM
My two setters, (being boys ) play rough, but I give a very firm 'calm' command and they soon move away!! Boxers do like a good muck about though, so as long as they come apart and are enjoying themselves and there is no malice, I wouldn't be over concerned.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks for your replies.

The canister I am on about does not make a sound - it is purely a blast of compressed air, similar to those you can buy to clean keyboards with. According to the can, you give the dog a quick blast of air when the unwanted behaviour occurs - thus the dog stops (in theory).

I know they are just being boisterous kids, but my mate's wife is becoming concerned at the amount of cuts and abrasions Ty receives after a 'play' session with Benson!

Maybe keeping them apart is the only realistic answer
Carole
Supervisor

25-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Does the play get rougher as it goes on?

I find that with my two I can distract them and call them for a biscuit when it gets really rough. Most of the time though if one gets too rough the other will yelp which signals time out for a minute then they start up over again just not so rough.

I hope you can figure something out as it would be a shame to keep them separated.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

25-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't stop it as they are obviously having fun and it's great exercise, but I would teach them to stop on command and walk on nicely so that they spend less time on each walk playfighting.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Out of interest do you take any toys with you, like balls and frisbee's? I know that works with my boys, diverts their interest!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I wopuldn't worry to much, Bruce at 15 weeks plays extremely rough with Skye, especially if he's on the bottom. I just have to keep saying a firm 'no' but neither of them bother. He's always bringing Skye down by her legs....I say down more like a crash. But they look like they enjoy it afterwards......knackered and panting
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >