Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:16 AM

Treadmills for dogs...

took the muts to the vest this morning -nick has a poorly paw - - altogether now.. awwwww

anyhow - antibiotics should sort it out - while we were there we weighed the millie

now - we always knew she was.... well..... on the chunky side at 26 (it is kg????) i work in pounds normlaly lol

anyhow - today she now weighs...... 26.7 - shes been ona adiet the past flipping month,,, no treats etc,, more walks - yet she still manages to put on weight!

totally not good for her i know - soher food is being cut dow slightly,,,more,,,, and her walks increased

my mum suggested a treadmill,,, as well?? i want want anyway for me,,,, but can dogs use them????

any info/thoughts/ welcome.......
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Never tried it myself, but I have seen Cesar Milan get dogs to use them. I even saw a giant hamster wheel for dogs on Grand Designs a couple of weeks ago! The BC who used it seemed to really enjoy it.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:21 AM
i see them on dragons den, they sell for £1600! making them a profit of £1300! crazy!

not sure why they cant be cheaper? seeing as a 'human' one you can get for £100!

i know they have different strides but is a human one not possible to use?

sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:22 AM
You could also try cycling with your dog. My dog loves it and we can go at a faster pace for longer than I ever could by just walking him.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I've seen people tread mills used for dogs, so long as you can control she speed it moves that's all that matters. I also take Dingo out when I'm on my bike as well to ensure he gets a good run. He loves it.

Heidi
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Does she swim Suze, thats a great way to tire her out with out any pressure on joints ect x
Hydrotherapy maybe once a week, dunno how much that would be but you could google it
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
Never tried it myself, but I have seen Cesar Milan get dogs to use them. I even saw a giant hamster wheel for dogs on Grand Designs a couple of weeks ago! The BC who used it seemed to really enjoy it.
Yep - one dog died on one of CM's treadmills!

I think personally, as long as treadmills aren't used instead of walks and the dog is taught how to use them starting off slower and building it up, then not pushing the dog to go faster than is good for them then I think they're ok for a bit of extra exercise.

Sometimes I could do with one for Takara as she'll go for a walk for a couple of hours, come back and still want to run about!

That said, if your dog isn't happy, he shouldn't be forced to use it, it's very easy for their paws to get caught in them things!
packleader
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:51 AM
The dog on CMs treadmill was tied to it, and left unattended.

As long as the dog can step off and rest, I don't see a problem to it.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:53 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
i see them on dragons den, they sell for £1600! making them a profit of £1300! crazy!

not sure why they cant be cheaper? seeing as a 'human' one you can get for £100!

i know they have different strides but is a human one not possible to use?

yeah - i was thinking a human one off ebay poss??!! lol

You could also try cycling with your dog. My dog loves it and we can go at a faster pace for longer than I ever could by just walking him.
yeah i like cycling - we tried it once but round here its road after road to get to anywhere decent - i suposed i could always pack up the dog/bike n go drive somewhere lol

Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I've seen people tread mills used for dogs, so long as you can control she speed it moves that's all that matters. I also take Dingo out when I'm on my bike as well to ensure he gets a good run. He loves it.

Heidi
it'd

d literally be snails pace for her - running for me lol

Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Does she swim Suze, thats a great way to tire her out with out any pressure on joints ect x
Hydrotherapy maybe once a week, dunno how much that would be but you could google it
yeah she loves it!! she swims all the time in the ponds etc (very cautious of the crap in the pond - our alst dog was poisoned...) but i will check that out as theirs a pool not far from us...

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Yep - one dog died on one of CM's treadmills!

I think personally, as long as treadmills aren't used instead of walks and the dog is taught how to use them starting off slower and building it up, then not pushing the dog to go faster than is good for them then I think they're ok for a bit of extra exercise.

Sometimes I could do with one for Takara as she'll go for a walk for a couple of hours, come back and still want to run about!

That said, if your dog isn't happy, he shouldn't be forced to use it, it's very easy for their paws to get caught in them things!

exactly what millie does

thanks for all the replies
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by packleader View Post
The dog on CMs treadmill was tied to it, and left unattended.

As long as the dog can step off and rest, I don't see a problem to it.

thats awful1!!!

id never tie my dog to it - what if she wanted to get off???!!!

and left unattended thats horrendous!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >