View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-01-2007, 11:25 AM
OK, so I went to the vets today, and he said the most likely cause is a urinary tract infection. He also said it may be because she is coming out of a heat, and he seen a little blood around her vagina.

I took in a sample of Bear's pee pee, and I'm waiting for the results. I have a prescription of medication for Bear as well. I'll let you know what happens.
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Just got the results back from the urine sample, and it's been revealed that Bear is on heat, and has an infection.

When would the ideal time to get her spayed now be? I'm sure my breeder said 3 months after the heat has finished. Should I ask the vet for his advice?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers View Post
Just got the results back from the urine sample, and it's been revealed that Bear is on heat, and has an infection.

When would the ideal time to get her spayed now be? I'm sure my breeder said 3 months after the heat has finished. Should I ask the vet for his advice?
Hi Mike talk to your vet of course, but I would say having a bitch spayed during a season is not a good idea for reasons connected to hormone levels, also because the organs are engorged with blood at this time so there can be excessive bleeding.

The best time to spay is considered by many to be mid way between seasons, so that is three months after the start of one season and three months preceding the beginning of the next when the hormone levels are stable.

I hope Bear will be better soon,it is a good idea to make sure he has lots of fresh water available at all times to help dilute the urine and to flush out the infection
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I have medication for Bear Bear, and she has lots of fresh clean water. She sleeps in her crate of a night now, instead of with me in my bed at night. She can come back and sleep with me when she's better.

My breeder also said 3 months after the heat, so I'm gonna suggest that to my vet when I got and take Bear Bear to him in a week. I'll probably make an appointment while I'm there..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers View Post
I have medication for Bear Bear, and she has lots of fresh clean water. She sleeps in her crate of a night now, instead of with me in my bed at night. She can come back and sleep with me when she's better.

My breeder also said 3 months after the heat, so I'm gonna suggest that to my vet when I got and take Bear Bear to him in a week. I'll probably make an appointment while I'm there..
Mike did the vet think Bear was/had been in season has she had any other signs, swelling of the vulva/licking .

Urinary tract infections can cause blood in the urine. If Bear is just coming into season you should be able to tell in a couple of days when the antibiotics have cleared up the infection so there is no blood in the urine .
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-01-2007, 06:04 PM
No, the vet said she is in season now, and could tell from the urine sample or something like that.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2