Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
Hi Tova,

I took your comment as criticising people for allowing their dogs to run at 40mph at any track, I only meant to point out that the track is no less safe than anywhere else for a greyhound to run. The difference being the care they recieve when injured. As said before I haven't had much knowledge regarding flappping tracks of late, but the thing that stood out between NGRC tracks and flapping tracks, was that dogs on flapping tracks were generally fitter than NGRC track dogs. It was more about winning at those, so they made sure their dogs were fit enough. However one thing that was apparent was that care of the greys at teh track was not catered for.
Years back, flapping tracks would be filled with normal pet owners wanting their dogs to race, as well as the element wanting to win! I understand that the pet owner side of things has fallen out of the tracks. As a child I went to Aldershot race track with our greyhound, as she loved to run, but didn't really have anywhere to do it properly as had to be kept on a lead due to the number of cats in the neighbourhood. I think the gambling and competition has taken over at these tracks now, and the dogs welfare has slipped because of it.

I will probably try and get it on iplayer later as I'd be interested in seeing what it has to say. take care
Ah, no, I only meant that I wouldn't be running a dog at the track on the programme.There was an inherent problem with a bend and also the sand was very thin in places. The joys of misunderstandings on forums! That's really interesting what you say about flapping greys being fitter than NGRC ones. There definitely seemed to be a big emphasis on winning. Much talk was also made about being honest getting you nowhere - slightly worrying!
Back in the days when you had a dog running at Aldershot it sounded as if it were more like whippet racing today- much more a family day out almost. Sounds great- so sad that in the main it seems to have been lost.
Have you read a book called "The Dogs" by Laura Thompson? It's a fascinating read by someone who grew up around the sport, and is very moving in places. It looks at both the nice and not so nice sides of greyhound racing and from my memory at least, gives quite a balanced view. It was published quite a while back now in 1994 but I'm sure is still worth a read.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
can someone tell me what a flapping track is
Sorry Shona, should have mentioned that
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
im so glad you asked
ha ha me too!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by tova View Post
Ah, no, I only meant that I wouldn't be running a dog at the track on the programme.There was an inherent problem with a bend and also the sand was very thin in places. The joys of misunderstandings on forums! That's really interesting what you say about flapping greys being fitter than NGRC ones. There definitely seemed to be a big emphasis on winning. Much talk was also made about being honest getting you nowhere - slightly worrying!
Yes very easy to mis-understand I'm not surprised about the bend or the thinning of sand. Regarding the fitness, at NGRC tracks, the top trainers usually only have a few dogs that get regular runs in training during the week to ensure they are fit. Unfortunately due to the lack of money in training the average dog, trainers need to have many dogs and therefore don't always have the time to ensure that the dogs are at their fittest. They are still pretty fit, but not as fit as they could be. The flapping tracks, are often privately owned dogs, that could be the "family pet" so aren't running as a business, and because winning is important, they will be excercised plenty to ensure they get fit. The fitter the dog the more chance they have of winning. In my opinion the fittest dogs of all where the coarsing greyhounds!

Back in the days when you had a dog running at Aldershot it sounded as if it were more like whippet racing today- much more a family day out almost. Sounds great- so sad that in the main it seems to have been lost.
Have you read a book called "The Dogs" by Laura Thompson? It's a fascinating read by someone who grew up around the sport, and is very moving in places. It looks at both the nice and not so nice sides of greyhound racing and from my memory at least, gives quite a balanced view. It was published quite a while back now in 1994 but I'm sure is still worth a read.
I think it probably was back then, there were still the element that exist today, but back then you had the good guys too. I think most of the horror stories relating to racing greyhounds are related to Flapping tracks!

I haven't read "The Dogs", will have to look it up! It'll be good if it gives a balanced view of greyhound racing. Unfortunately we only ever hear the bad stuff, so nice to get a balanced view.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
It's an unlicensed greyhound racing track!
thanks Imac x

Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
im so glad you asked

Im so glad Im not the only one who didnt have a clue,,, x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2