View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Can I ask a question? How does the dog pant when wearing a halti? Loki got really hot on his walk today and his mouth was wide open and his tongue was hanging down a mile.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 10:59 PM
The halti doesn't stop the dog from opening it's mouth!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Ah! Didn't realise that. [blushing icon]
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Ah! Didn't realise that. [blushing icon]
Don't worry!
People often think it is a muzzle when Teagan has hers on!
If you pull the lead, then the part around the mouth does get tighter, but slackens off if you stop pulling.
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2005, 11:38 PM
They are a bit more difficult on a short muzzled dog. Shelby can slip right out of one, no problem...Spock has a bit longer face and it fits him fine.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Teagan has a shortish muzzle, luckily the halti is fine with her
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I have used with much success a Mikki harness or I believe there is a similar thing called a lupi. It works by tightening under their armpits when they pull. Mind be worth a go as an alternative if you dont like the idea of a halti.

Diane
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Snorri late again (been busy, will post elsewhere).

I was in Kirkwall one day, a few years back, with both "The Boys". Kali spotted a cat, Snorri spotted a dropped sausage roll. Both decided to "go for the kill" at the same time, and I nearly lost my hand. That was the last straw, as far as I was concerned, so it was "next stop, the petshop" - and two Haltis.

Problem solved! All I had to do was keep their heads high enough for them to be unable to scrape them off on the pavement. At last, I was able to walk upright, instead of bent double.

Now, they have their Haltis on whenever they are in town, but they don't need them when they're out and about near home.

Although BCs are classed as "medium", and although Orkney BCs are generally smaller than mainland dogs, they are extremely strong, and they can drag you to the ground if you're not expecting it. They don't seem to like being on leads, either (because they were developed to work at a distance???) - which makes for problems if you live (like me) in an agricultural area with livestock and your dogs are not trained to work sheep, etc. The Haltis have proved invaluable, and I'd always have one (per dog!) to hand!

It does, however, make some people think they're muzzled for aggressiveness

Snorri
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Diane
I have used with much success a Mikki harness or I believe there is a similar thing called a lupi. It works by tightening under their armpits when they pull. Mind be worth a go as an alternative if you dont like the idea of a halti.

Diane
If this is the one I'm thinking of, I would never use one of those... We have had some terrible incidents with those here in Denmark.... They gnawed all fur of the dogs and gave them big open wounds....
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 09:35 AM
I once tried the Lupi harness with my German Shepherd Jasper and it did the same thing The fur under his 'arm-pits' (can't think of a better description!!) wore off and rubbed raw. I had to bin it.

Any dog I've put a Halti on hated it, that said they are very effective and it's like having power-steering! I only use mine on Ozzy when we are in crowded areas like Town Centre or when we go to the Lake District and we are walking in the pedestrian areas, it just gives that bit of extra control.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >