View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Training help for Samson (defensive aggression)

Just spoken to a Phil Watson of aws dog training, to get some help with Samson, he seems to have upped his game a bit from just barking at other dogs to now snapping at them with a growl and jumping around them, he has a very 'soft' mouth and is doing no harm physically, but it is undesirable behaviour I wish to stop.

My question is that Phil has quote £145 for a 1-1 at home where he will come out on a walk with us and 2 of his own dogs and show me how to deal with this, he seems genuine and has PG Cert. Canine Behaviour & Dog Training (Midx Uni. IWBL).
Does this sound a good idea??
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Or anybody know of good dog trainers for this sort of problem in Bedford Bedfordshire???
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Anybody????
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Not heard of him. If I were looking to book someone, the questions I'd ask would be:

Have you dealt with this type of thing before?

Have you done a lot of work with my breed of dog before?

What methods do you use?

Do you also run classes and could I come along to observe one before deciding whether or not to book?

If I was happy, I would book, if not then no.
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Whats on offer long term, does he offer rehabilitation classes? Dealing with aggression is long term not quick fix.
I speak from experience as I have done this kind of training many years in yorkshire. I do think if he's coming to you and using trained stooge dogs his price is fair if He's any good.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I didn't ask any of the above to be honest, I know I am a numpty.
He works for the aws which is Anglia wolf society, yes he has worked with many aggressive dogs to varying degrees and for many a reason, all with differing methods of training dependent on the problem of course.
He has courses also which he runs and also does make up extra classes with suitable dogs if needed to suit the dogs needs, he was a really nice calm bloke to chat to, my head says he is a good un.
The only thing i disagreed with a little is that fearful dogs will become more fearful after neutering, which I believe to be true, he does not, not that he is suggesting I get Samson done, he meerly asked and we had the above discussion, I don't believe Samsons problem to be testosterone based so do not want to get him done, but I am an owner not a behaviorist?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Personal opinion only - I know the theory is sound, but I worked for 11 years with dogs and never once saw it happen.

All we have at the moment as far as I'm aware is theory and, as said, the theory behind neutering fearful dogs seems sound, but my experience hasn't backed it up as yet.

I'm also aware when testing theories that life stages play a big part. For example, neutering that coincides with a development period can often lead to false assumptions.

Sorry, off topic really, but theories on neutering interest me
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Personal opinion only - I know the theory is sound, but I worked for 11 years with dogs and never once saw it happen.

All we have at the moment as far as I'm aware is theory and, as said, the theory behind neutering fearful dogs seems sound, but my experience hasn't backed it up as yet.

I'm also aware when testing theories that life stages play a big part. For example, neutering that coincides with a development period can often lead to false assumptions.

Sorry, off topic really, but theories on neutering interest me
Yes i'm interested too, and your take on it is exactly what he said, seen hundreds of dogs and noticed no difference. I do still want him to be fully mature before (and if) I get him done, I'd rather try to train out this behavior but if he needs training as well as the op then I want to go in Fully understanding all the facts???

Also at 16 months he is now in a development period, so I hope with me doing things the right way, I get can get my boy to the other side a well behaved sociable dog.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Ok so been in touch with a behaviorist for Samson and waiting for an appointment, after talking to her and reading up on what I thought was fear aggression, I have come across Defensive aggression which sounds exactly what Samson has, anyway obviously the behaviorist will come and assess this and tell me what to do, she said on the phone that when Samson is jumping about barking and air snapping that I should not shout to scare him away from the other dog (please note I do not allow him to do this but it has happened when we have come across a dog unexpectedly off lead) when it happened i said loudly in a deep voice "you dare samson go on" and pointed in the direction I wanted him to go. She says that in his mind he is scared of the dog and now on top of that Mum (me) goes all crazy when another dog is around so they really must be scary.....

So my question is (as well as the obvious of not letting it happen) how do I deal with it in a calm manner so Samson is not scared by my behavior?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Zoe I agree with the trainer about not shouting at Samson.

I would say the way to handle defensive aggression is pretty much the same as handling fear aggression, getting the dog used to meeting other dogs/ keeping and holding the dog's attention/ distraction /calming the situation /avoiding difficult situations.

I posted with suggestions in a previous thread so rather than repeat myself I will post a link ...
Advice needed when walking a sometimes aggressive dog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >