Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
Until the KC state how it should be held (if they ever do??) then I feel it will always be down to each individual judge to decide how they would like it held.

The KC will never state this - and nor should they. They don't tell handlers how to handle their dogs in another breed so they're not about to start with the Dobes.

I'd hold the tail in the way that suited the dog best. Personally, I wouldn't hold the tail up in a breed where the standard states "Appears to be a continuation of spine without material drop, or slightly raised when the dog is moving." If it's only slightly raised when moving then it should be bolt upright when stacked. Just my opinion.

Debs
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2008, 08:53 AM
The KC will never state this - and nor should they. They don't tell handlers how to handle their dogs in another breed so they're not about to start with the Dobes.
No I know they won't, I just meant it figuratively When you say bolt upright how exactly do you mean?

I too think it should be what suits the dog best and shows it off to the best advantage. The only minor problem I can foresee is whilst the dog is still maturing you will have to change the way the tail is held. A well respected breeder saw Krystal and said it looked better down and when she saw her 2 weeks later it suited her better as in my avatar pic. Here is a pic of her at 10 weeks with her tail 'au natural'
[IMG][/IMG]
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
No I know they won't, I just meant it figuratively When you say bolt upright how exactly do you mean?
I mean higher than slightly raised and not as a continuation of the spine.

Debs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I guess it is all going to be a little bit of trial and error..

Will be easier for the gun dogs breeds I think, as tails are already held in a continuation of the spine....so not much change there , just a little extra to hold .

The breeds like the Boxer /Dobe, those that are encouraged to hold their tails erect, when standing, are the ones who will need to find their own level of comfort, enabling them to show their dog of to its best.

So far (in Boxers) everyone is trying their own methods..I agree hiding the tail is a little silly, but I am sure in time, people will become accustomed to seeing the tail and it will less of a problem.

We need to look to the Continent to see how they deal with tails
bxrmadgal
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I have recently started going to obedience training with the Boxer Club of NSW and we were talking about this very topic last week.

Just to let you know I know nothing about showing. The people that breed and show that were there said they teach the dog to stand at attention without being "stacked", that way the tail is at attention too, curled over the back and prior to the ban the tail still stood up without being held.

Personally I think the tail and the dog looks best when it is at attention.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 01:23 PM
If I were a judge, so long as the tails are wagging nicely when I approached that would do for me

But seriously though, I think most people generally, [ if they let themselves relax into it a bit more on the tail aspect ], would be able to find a comfortable natural looking/balanced position which suits their individual dog to Show at its best, rather than worry about a particular `one angle for all` if you see what I mean, [ blimey, how badly have I worded that ].
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
If I were a judge, so long as the tails are wagging nicely when I approached that would do for me

But seriously though, I think most people generally, [ if they let themselves relax into it a bit more on the tail aspect ], would be able to find a comfortable natural looking/balanced position which suits their individual dog to Show at its best, rather than worry about a particular `one angle for all` if you see what I mean, [ blimey, how badly have I worded that ].
I dont know , but I understood it
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I dont know , but I understood it
I don`t know if I should be relieved at myself for putting it ok or worried for you that you actually understood what I meant
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2008, 02:27 PM
The tail docked or not needs to be a continuation of the spine and thats what needs to be seen, I have seen them held up and over the back and left like below, this female below was a crufts qualifier.

Mo and the Gang
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
The tail docked or not needs to be a continuation of the spine and thats what needs to be seen, I have seen them held up and over the back and left like below, this female below was a crufts qualifier.

Mo and the Gang
Natural is nice and I like this one.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »