register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you use bait with your dog in the ring?
Yes 45 78.95%
No 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
If we are not in after them, we always seem to be next to them, and it drives the dogs insane with all the the food throwing and squeaking
You can't do much if they are next to you but if you follow them then ask the steward to clear the ring, As a steward I always do and judges do not mind at all, often join in as do sometimes if it is bad the exhibitors.

ARCHER said "I'm afraid I do find that slightly insulting"
Have to agree, it is wrong to judge the way a breed is handled by another breed or even how one handler in a breed handles with another in the same breed.

It is the handlers responsibility to get the best from their dog and if you have a breed that is not expected to stand as a statue you need some way to regain attention. With an independent breed, who think they know what is best for them, your voice or eye is not enough, as Archer says at times nothing short than an in-season bitch in your pocket or bum bag would get their attention.

Judges know the breed they are judging and do not expect the same sort of static performance from a breed like the Elkhound or Rottie as they do from a stacked breed or one that is trained to pose, our breeds stand as they land and that is what the judge expects to see, if you place your dog you will be asked to move it and let it be, over trained animals are apt to pose, not a problem with the Elkhound who one hopes will just stop and stand more or less in one place for a few seconds.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I only do agility, and it's not allowed for us, Jack may well have got his contacts if it was
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I like Megan57collies keep bait in my pocket and use if neccessary, have to say can't do with those that throw bait /toys rough collies are a another breed that throw toys /bait
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I bait the Pharaohs - I don't know anyone, anywhere in the world, who doesn't. I will throw a bit of bait in front of the dog when she's stood for the judge to go over her - as he turns round from seeing his last dog. I would never do it in line-up of dogs. I always pick the bait up afterwards.

Originally Posted by Foo View Post
I never have used anything in the ring. I expect my dog to be able to stand still on command and for this the reward is verbal. Its not as if the judge is blind lol they can see those that do it because they're trained to behave in a certain way and those who need food stuffed in their faces to look remotely interested Honestly not wishing to offend but if a titbit is more interesting that a handler for the short time in the ring it doesnt say a great deal for the handlers skills IMHO.
Typical response from someone who doesn't have an erect eared breed The fact that we use bait has nothing to do with 'stuffing food in the dogs face' constantly. It's used to get their attention so their ears go up. A hand in the pocket is normally good enough, or having it in your hand so the dog is eagerly awaiting it. I give the dog bits of bait whilst I'm waiting to be seen, just so they know it's there.

We don't all show breeds where it's acceptable to hang on to both ends you know

Debs
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I give treats but I certainly dont throw them around the ring it is quite popular in my breed to hand out when they are standing in line
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I bait my dogs in the ring - but would never throw it, though i do have prick eared breeds they can show that they have the desired highly mobile ears in other ways.

Thrown bait is a particular problem as my breeds are at the most 15 inches high so much harder to get the nose up off the ground when they are hoovering.

I find squeaky toys or worse clickers used in the ring to get the dogs attention are much more frustrating than flung bait - I have no objection to them being used when say the dog is on the table or being moved on their own, but not when lined up.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I would never throw food in the ring but the treat system work's ok I think it all depends on the way they are trained, and I also happen to think I don't like it when mine geet's distracted with treat's strewn all over the ring so I can see why lot's of you don't like.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't show, but all I need to do to get Murphy to stand where I want is put my hand in my pocket.... no need to even show him any food....
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I don't show, but all I need to do to get Murphy to stand where I want is put my hand in my pocket.... no need to even show him any food....
Aye it's the Boxer greediness that has him thinking food.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I have to say i'd never seen it in rotts before Crufts and I was quite surprised when a whole cocktail sausage landed at my feet as I was watching at the ringside but there you go. Just got me thinking. Thanks everyone for you views.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »