register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jayne
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 09:54 AM
to me dog showing is a hobbie...some take it to serious....my dogs love going to shows as its fun not serious...yes i go to try to win...but win or loose my dogs still get the same amount ov praise and love ect....too many people in the showing world take it too serious and wen dont get a prize they forget to praise the dog...but the people who have there dogs as pets like all on here praise and love them no matter what...i belive 9 x out ov 10 you can tell how dogs are kept at home just by watching them with there owners and how they respond ect...yousee puppies that stand there to attention at 6month old like theyve been doing it for years..and bhy time there 12month there pissed off and hate it..wouldnt you !!! mitch ill have a go with toesy tonite and see if i can find what makes him tick...all dogs have a buttons its finding out which one to press......presure on me tonite lol...whatch this space....
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 09:57 AM
yousee puppies that stand there to attention at 6month old like theyve been doing it for years
bloody hell, once would be nice with Gus
jayne
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 10:01 AM
hi lel...you know next time your cooking in kitchen or pulling a chicken to bits or chopping cornbeef...get the pic just watch gus standing next to you ....move forward towards him then back again..get the pic...now hes standing with out you even touching him....and enjoying it,,,,coz what evers on the bench that your cooking chuck him a bit now n again....few times at this and hey presto a dog that loves standing in the kitchen !!!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 10:06 AM
we've said loads of times about how we wish he would stand at the show like he will stand at home but I suppose some like it and some dont

can i just ask while youre around - do you have any tips for a dog that drops his backend when hes being gone over ??
jayne
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 10:11 AM
he will stand at show if you find a food treat that he likes but only use it for shows...so he will be excited to have that treat...back end dropping you could try 2 things....wen you stand him put your foot under tummy with toes pointing up to tummy so that every timegoes to sit will feel your foot eventually will stand.....other you could try is a treat in hand to nibble on so distracted wen going over back end...if think ov another will let you know...few have asked me that ? and both 1 and 2 worked for them...time...patience ...love...is the key... good luck.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 10:14 AM
cheers jayne
Just that we've had a couple of people mention he would have had a higher place if he wasnt so hesitant in that area
jayne
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 10:17 AM
distraction prob best ....see how goes let me know and if dosnt work...ill think ov something else...try wen visitors come to house stand him and get them to go over him...not to many times so that he gets to hate it just now n again...i really think distractng him will take his mind off some one behind him...good luck.xx
jayne
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 09:39 PM
well mitch...i think sausages top ov your shopping list now...toesy and rio both looked well at training class tonight....time/patience/practice/and most ov all love....and you will manage.....
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks Jayne
Just to let you all know, Jayne did her magic on my dogs tonight,
I'll definitely be pursuing with Toesy after all. I saw a different side to him tonight, he proved to me he can enjoy himself in the ring as much as he does at home.
Jayne got him all worked up and excited with sausages
He stood brilliantly, He actually had a neck lol not something you see much of, when I'm standing him. And the best thing was, he wagged his tail, the full time he was walking up and down the mat. :smt038
I'm going to make sure I practise a lot more, and make sure I keep him totally interested in what I'm doing, and most of all build up my own confidence.
Jaynes help and tips will definitely pay off.
Watch this space.
jayne
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 10:03 PM
no need to thank...pleased i was ov some help you now know they can do it and enjoy it... now youve seen it for yourself......hopefully lots ov 1sts on there way.. see you all friday...good luck.xx
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »