View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree with Rune here and Kerryowner. And not asour grapes because we have won a fair few rosettes. And we have a great laugh if we don't.
I have also seen (like rune said) people selling puppies with the room full of rosettes. They say ......dog show or ....dog training club etc and not what class they were for.
I don't mind, there are people who say it is for training for other shows and thats a good idea especially as it is for charity but it does feela bit spoilt sometimes when there are people standing looking very embarrased that their untrained dog is trying to play with others.
The time i don't really think it is fair is when there is a show that has the KC classes first (which is fine) but then the dogs from those classes then enter all the fun classes from the same show (which seems unnfair).
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL----Doubtful since I probably enter about one show every couple of years!

Yet you seem to have such knowledge on the corruption involved in dog showing

So on that basis would you like to elaborate on why I should be sour grapish?

rune
The basis , you never have a good word for the pedigree KC registered dog show or exhibitor

Fun village shows should be just that IMO---not places for second rate show dogs to pick up easy rosettes
The above being a good example,

If a fun dog show is run under KC rules, they have to follow said rules,

Not much point in "spreading them around" if spreading them around , is equally as biased !!

Why not state, "no KC pedigree dogs allowed" Oops, them your taking may go down!!

You want the money that is generated by entries, but you dont want "second rate show dogs" entering the pedigree classes????????

Your biased logic smacks of "sour grapes" towards the show world !
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I thought the whole point of fun shows is that they should be just that, FUN! Theres no need to take it so seriously, yes its disappointing not to win or to be beaten by a professional looking handler/dog, but to complain is just bad sportsmanship IMO.

I show my dogs at Championship level, but i very often start them off at Companion shows to let them get a taste of being in the ring, being handled and having the show atmosphere. Those dogs may well go on to compete successfully at championship show level, does that mean I shouldnt start them off at companion shows? Just because i have a ring clip and know how to handle a dog? We always support our local companion shows wherever possible, and tend to enter the oldies or any new pups for the day out, is that wrong as well cos we're "show people"?

ETA: I did see a stud dog advertised yesterday boasting his show wins, with a pic with his two rosettes - as the advert said, one for waggiest tail and one for dog the judge would most like to take home - so according to his owners, that gave him a show record Crazy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by weevle21 View Post
I agree with Rune here and Kerryowner. And not asour grapes because we have won a fair few rosettes. And we have a great laugh if we don't.
I have also seen (like rune said) people selling puppies with the room full of rosettes. They say ......dog show or ....dog training club etc and not what class they were for.
I don't mind, there are people who say it is for training for other shows and thats a good idea especially as it is for charity but it does feela bit spoilt sometimes when there are people standing looking very embarrased that their untrained dog is trying to play with others.
The time i don't really think it is fair is when there is a show that has the KC classes first (which is fine) but then the dogs from those classes then enter all the fun classes from the same show (which seems unnfair).
Are there any rules to say , one can only enter class A,B,C???

If not them how can it possibly unfair.

You put a pedigree in class A , (pedigree class) and it wins, why cant that dog then go in the waggiest tail, the dog the judge would like to take home, the prettiest bitch???

Are you seriously say, said dog cant enter the "fun" classes , as its not fair

So what the breeder sticks their rosettes up on their wall, are you really saying that because the breeder had 10 rosettes on their wall instead of 6, they can charge more money for their pups

The more that is getting written, the more its becoming evident that sour grapes exist , from those who are the "fun" show exhibitor

What ever happened to the "its the taking part" that counts, and a "fund day out"
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Oh what rubbish---I can't be bothered to look back over my posts but I am no more biased against show dogs than any others.

Their breeders maybe---and those from ANY dog activity who dump dogs that don't make the grade. As well as those who support such practises.

In fact if you stopped reading only the parts of my posts that suit you you would have read that from me!

I don't ever get involved in KC registered companion shows so I have no idea what now goes on in them. There did used to be a rule that if you had CC you couldn't enter a dog but I have no idea if that is still the case.

As for not wanting dogs to enter because it affects the 'takings'-----I want people to have a fun day out and enjoy their dogs and in doing so raise some money for charity. Anyone up for that fun is welcome as far as I am concerned. That is what these little fun shows are about.

rune
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I haven't been to a fun/companion show for a couple of years, I also haven't been to a champ/open show for the same reasons, my health and not having anything to show as Leon was too old and poorly to enjoy his day out.

However, I now have, what I consider to be a quality dog, the proof will be when I show him as to whether he is of breed standard and capable of holding his own out there.

I know how to stand a dog, how to groom him and how to get the best out of him...because I have that knowledge and because my dog will be trained to stand for the judge and run around the ring in a steady manner to show off his conformation, it would appear that some people think I shouldn't enjoy a fun show with him whilst helping charities

Showing is an expensive hobby so we often have to pick and choose which ones we are going to attend..if I can't afford to enter a couple of champ shows at over £20 an entry, or an open show at around £4-£5 then why shouldn't I get some pleasure at a fun/companion show at £1-£2 a class?

If my dog stands out from the crowd because he is a nice specimen and has been bathed or brushed as a mark of respect for the the judge, why does that make me a baddie? I will be bathing Henry today ready for his first ringcraft lesson tomorrow, but thats just me, if someone is going to be kind enough to put their hands over my dog then I think the least I can do is ensure he is clean and tidy for them.

I always congratulate people who beat me, if someone with a scruffy dog that doesn't appear to have been brushed or bathed in its lifetime, or has to be dragged around the ring because he isn't used to it, then so be it...I always take the best dog(s) home and I would still congratulate the winners.

With regards to the rosettes I would mention that my dogs won hundreds over the years, ranging from companion shows up to Crufts, I was proud of every single one of them but never mentioned them when people called to enquire about pups/using my dogs..why would I need to when I am confident about my dogs heritage and construction...the proof is there for people to see when they visit, they don't need anything else.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Oh what rubbish---I can't be bothered to look back over my posts but I am no more biased against show dogs than any others.

Their breeders maybe---and those from ANY dog activity who dump dogs that don't make the grade. As well as those who support such practises.

In fact if you stopped reading only the parts of my posts that suit you you would have read that from me!

I don't ever get involved in KC registered companion shows so I have no idea what now goes on in them. There did used to be a rule that if you had CC you couldn't enter a dog but I have no idea if that is still the case.

As for not wanting dogs to enter because it affects the 'takings'-----I want people to have a fun day out and enjoy their dogs and in doing so raise some money for charity. Anyone up for that fun is welcome as far as I am concerned. That is what these little fun shows are about.

rune
You cant take part if the dog has a CC, RCC or JW, in the pedigree classes anyway, anyone can do the novelty classes So those dogs that won the classes were not champion dogs, and hadnt won any particularly major awards at championship shows They just had a handler who took pride in his presentation.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by rune
LOL----Doubtful since I probably enter about one show every couple of years!

Yet you seem to have such knowledge on the corruption involved in dog showing

Yes---frightening isn't it that someone on the outside can see it happening---must be so much worse if you are heavily involved in it.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
You cant take part if the dog has a CC, RCC or JW, in the pedigree classes anyway, anyone can do the novelty classes So those dogs that won the classes were not champion dogs, and hadnt won any particularly major awards at championship shows They just had a handler who took pride in his presentation.
I was talking about fun shows NOT companion shows.

Thanks for the info though. Always interesting to know.

rune
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I was talking about fun shows NOT companion shows.

Thanks for the info though. Always interesting to know.

rune
Anyone can enter fun shows, they are not run under KC rules, any age/type/experience dog can enter. So you are more likely to get a champion competing at a fun show than at a companion show
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »