View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Presentation means a lot to me, in fact a poorly presented dog is awful I think. Be prepared to put in a bit of effort and present your dog to its best ability, as a handler, its your job!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Presentation means a lot to me, in fact a poorly presented dog is awful I think. Be prepared to put in a bit of effort and present your dog to its best ability, as a handler, its your job!
I don't doubt presentation is important, I've already stated as much, that's not what the thread is about. The problem I have is when it's taken out of proportion or when it changes a breed to make it more flashy. Which picture do you prefer Dawn, just out of interest? If you had two dogs like the two in the pictures I posted, both with little to separate them conformation wise, would you pick the bottom flashy dog that didn't have a hair out of place, or the first one that is less immaculate but correctly fits the "moderately feathered" description in the breed standard?

To say a dog is placed lower purely because it's coat is not as well presented is wrong to me, because I honestly don't believe that with the difference in type and quality of exhibits that you could split hairs in such a fashion.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Its the same with the welsh I prefer the older presentations where they could actually move without tripping over there skirt.
I went under a "friend" with Ross and got 3 out of 3 when I asked why I was told he was lacking coat.....he was an eight month all pup!!!! I had to point out our breed standard says "lightly feathered" its ridiculous should go on movement and confirmation not how much coat a dog has.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Its the same with the welsh I prefer the older presentations where they could actually move without tripping over there skirt.
I went under a "friend" with Ross and got 3 out of 3 when I asked why I was told he was lacking coat.....he was an eight month all pup!!!! I had to point out our breed standard says "lightly feathered" its ridiculous should go on movement and confirmation not how much coat a dog has.
Wow, really!

I always thought Welshies were much better than their English cousins regarding coat? I've always thought an English in a Welsh coat would be about right with regards to our breed standard!

I understand that presentation is important, but so important to mean a dog is placed differently? Oh please!

I'd just love to know how on earth anyone can justify placing a dog with so much coat when the breed standard states "moderately feathered"!
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Just recently I've been checking the show results and critiques for English Springers and have come across some judges complaining about the poor of presentation of some dogs. One judge going so far as to say that had the presentation been better on some exhibits, then they would've got better placings.

Now, I know presentation is important - entering isn't cheap, so you want the dog and yourself to look your best. That said, is it right to put so much emphasis on appearance. Surely health, conformation and breed type is more important?

For me, if I was judging and found I had two dogs that were very similar but one wasn't as nicely presented I wouldn't automatically go for the one that was better presented. I'd look at the faults on each dog and mark them accordingly. Surely half the reason the show type Springer has become so hairy, for want of a better word, and over coiffured is because of peoples obsession with presentation?

Opinions please.

Nb: Oh and please try and avoid being overly disrespectful to those of us who show. I love to show my dogs, but don't necessarily agree with everything that goes on, however this thread isn't about calling dog shows/show'ers names etc.
Well I know I would not like to go over a very dirty, greasy coated dog then move onto the next one, its not very nice. Not read all tyhe thread but as for matts, burrs etc.. well imo it does not take that long to brush/comb a coat
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I don't doubt presentation is important, I've already stated as much, that's not what the thread is about. The problem I have is when it's taken out of proportion or when it changes a breed to make it more flashy. Which picture do you prefer Dawn, just out of interest? If you had two dogs like the two in the pictures I posted, both with little to separate them conformation wise, would you pick the bottom flashy dog that didn't have a hair out of place, or the first one that is less immaculate but correctly fits the "moderately feathered" description in the breed standard?

To say a dog is placed lower purely because it's coat is not as well presented is wrong to me, because I honestly don't believe that with the difference in type and quality of exhibits that you could split hairs in such a fashion.
The only difference is the fact the second dog has more coat and that the handler has been removed. The throat skin has been moved out of the way by the hand and the tail held up, on the first pic it hasnt. nothing more. The construction of both animals IMO is good.

Its a dog show Rips, presentation being poor is like saying Miss world doesnt need to brush her hair because she is pretty enough to win without doing so. Presentation is part and parcel of dog showing, if you dont want to present your dog to its best advantage, dont show.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm not really 'in' on the showing scene since my pup isn't a recognised breed...but personally I feel that if two dogs had the same conformation and there was nothing between them health and standard wise. Then I would expect the judge to make a decision on presentation based on the breed standard, not their own personal preference. If the standard says "moderately feathered" then a dog with /excessive/ feathers should be placed lower perhaps than a dog with moderate feathering. But then the meaning of words can be taken in different ways depending on what a judge would consider 'moderate' to be. Now if it said "feathers of 2-3 inches in length" then there would be no question.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
I'm not really 'in' on the showing scene since my pup isn't a recognised breed...but personally I feel that if two dogs had the same conformation and there was nothing between them health and standard wise. Then I would expect the judge to make a decision on presentation based on the breed standard, not their own personal preference. If the standard says "moderately feathered" then a dog with /excessive/ feathers should be placed lower perhaps than a dog with moderate feathering. But then the meaning of words can be taken in different ways depending on what a judge would consider 'moderate' to be. Now if it said "feathers of 2-3 inches in length" then there would be no question.
I expect it would depend on how you interpret "moderate" I dont think the second photo is of a dog who has excessive feathering at all, take a look at the same breed exhibited in the US, THATS excessive!
http://www.dfwessa.com/08national/
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I think presentation (coat) is as important as any other aspect of the show ring, if the judge had taken the time to come and judge your dogs, you owe it to yourself the judge and the dog to have made an effort to show your dog to its best ability.

Regards the pictures , personally I prefer the second, although both dogs are equally as good,

The thing with with breed standards is ones interpretation of it, "moderately feathered" can mean the first or the second depending on ones view point.

Having more feathers /flashy , is not going to distract from the dogs conformation, a good judge will see through coat,

If someone turned up with a dog under groomed and dirty in front of me, I would give them the same respect they showed, me and overlook them , even if it was the best dog in the class.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its a dog show Rips, presentation being poor is like saying Miss world doesnt need to brush her hair because she is pretty enough to win without doing so. Presentation is part and parcel of dog showing, if you dont want to present your dog to its best advantage, dont show.
Good point, its bad enough the handlers turning up like they have just mucked out the kennels, lets not add the dogs to it to!!
Page 2 of 35 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »