Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Fun Dog showers taking a stand

There are a lot of people who have noticed here in Devon that 'Fun' dog shows are being overrun by people with KC dogs who are going into the pedigree classes then also getting top of the pops in the fun classes too.
A local dog show has been set up for next weekend and they are saying if the dogs are KC registered they will not allow them to enter.
The local KC dog people that do the rounds are getting very upset about it but actually i agree.
It's unfair that these people can have their own classes and then enter with us too and then use rosettes for 'waggiest tail' or 'fastest bonio eater' in order to gain a higher price on their pedigree pups.
What do you think?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 04:39 PM
My local fun shows here a few years ago - RSPCA - two a year - did have quite a few pedigrees entered. I went to 3 with Merlin as a pup and young dog, and BIS at all 3 were won by KC reg show dogs.... a Pomeranian, a Cocker and a Great Dane. I can see how that would discourage people at an event for dogs that cannot go to any other type of show.

Yes they did have classes for rescues... so there was a Rescue BIS as well... but that ignored the dogs that didn't fall into either category.

Not sour grapes as Merly did well - including 2nd out of over 40 in "Most Handsome Dog" and winning a 'wannabe' famous person class (as Captain Jack Sparrow!) yes he did look a lot like Johnny Depp back then....

I know people who have show dogs try them out at Fun shows to get them a bit of easy show experience... No problem with that in principle, but surely it's not a level playing field for the other entrants = pet dogs that can't enter any other kind of shows? Show dogs can enter ringcraft matches.... Some ringcraft classes do not allow non KC reg dogs.

OK so it's a day out and winning is not the issue it's the taking part, yadda yadda.... But you can see why owners of 'ordinary' dogs get cheesed off.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I think fun dog shows should be just that, i.e. fun for people with dogs, even pedigree dogs? I have a young pedigree dog who I enjoyed taking to a little fun dog show last year, although I have no intention of ever doing it professionally, and I couldn't anyway coz her coat's too long!

I don't personally like the idea of "excluding" people with pedigree dogs, and if you're going to exclude anyone, it should be people who have shown/won with their own dogs at bigger shows perhaps, but don't segregate us just because we have a pedigree
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 04:55 PM
What advantage would a pedigree dog have in the waggiest tail, or catch the sausage competition.

I have done a few fun dog shows with pedigree dogs, I went because they were fund raiser and I wanted to support the event.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I agree with H. To me it just sounds like sour grapes.

Why can't a pedigree dog (even a Crufts champion for that matter) have the right to enter a 'waggiest tail' competition? Does being a pedigree give them any more advantage over the other contestants - absolutely not.

Can they use fun show rosettes to con people into paying more for pups - well if they can, more fool those who pay - they should do their research and know exactly what they are buying.

I also have no objection to serious show goers entering breed classes - there are many reasons why they might want to do so - e.g. giving a young inexperienced dog some confidence, letting their children have a go at handling, etc. etc.

And I should imagine that anyone who's dog does really well at 'serious' showing would not bother entering the breed classes at a fun show because where is the pride to them in winning something like that?

I have rescues, none of which have ever had KC papers (as far as I know). But to me, I'd be happy as larry if my dogs beat a 'proper show dog' in a fun breed class - and if we didn't, well, so what?

The only people who I think should be banned from fun shows are those that are so hell bent on winning that they spoil the fun for others. 'Spoiling the fun of others' doens't include things like having a thoroughly well groomed dog or using a proper show lead in a class, but it does include things like moaning/complaining at the judge or trying to exert pressure on them to make a decision in their favour. And this can happen from owners of non-kc dogs as well as from those with kc dogs.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 05:11 PM
We took Ben & Poppy to a fun dog show last year. We entered Ben for the saddest eyes, best rescue and waggiest tail...never won, but was just good fun. I don't have a problem with pedigree dogs entering and winning those type of classes...just my opinion
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Doesn't make any difference to us, Woody is KC registered, but not breed standard!

A fun dog show should be just that, fun. It shouldn't matter what your dog is and where it comes from.

We entered Woody in one once and he came away with 5th in waggiest tale. I think we were robbed ;o)
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Surely it would be very difficult to restrict entry to fun classes?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Sour grapes? no not really; as I said my lad did well in novelty classes. But it's not based on my opinion, it's that of others who were at those shows.

Just seems there's a gap.....

If every time the BIS's are won by pedigree show dogs, and you don't have a rescue dog which can go into rescue classes and qualify for Scruffts or win BIS rescue, then others feel a bit left out.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 06:53 PM
No I don`t think pedigree dogs should be excluded (having pure-bred rescue dogs ) but I think the judge should treat it as a fun class.
Last time I went in a class for a fun dog show with an old Rescue boy the judge treated it like a KC class, and obviously knew all the pothunting ladies with their KC reg dogs who used it as a warm up for the Show classes.
Never again.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »