View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2009, 05:20 PM
No he could be castrated, as long as you inform the KC a neutered dog can be shown. He'll only be neutered if his nads start causing him problems, however.

You can enter a castrated dog at kc shows as long as you inform the KC in advance in writing. They then give you permission. However, i don't think any judge would place a dog that was not intact as it is no longer breeding stock.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Spoke to a friend today who was saying another friend of hers had written not to be shown on a receipt & they started to show & she could do nothing about it. If its not on the KC papers it doesn't count. She had sold this dog cheaper too as she thought it would not make size.

Do you think the breeders will try to get more money from them seeing that it was sold at a reduced rate because it was not to be shown?

Mo
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Do you think the breeders will try to get more money from them seeing that it was sold at a reduced rate because it was not to be shown?

Mo
The breeder should have only given them a pedigree and not the registration papers.

It seems that you can't trust anyone, the breeders were fair to let the pup go at a reduced rate, I would be disappointed with the new owners unless they had come back to me first in these circumstances.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
You can enter a castrated dog at kc shows as long as you inform the KC in advance in writing. They then give you permission. However, i don't think any judge would place a dog that was not intact as it is no longer breeding stock.
Makes no difference either way cos he's keeping his nads.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Sorry to go off the main question, but recently a friend of mine wanted to use a well known cocker for stud, the owner said they could use him on conditions that the breeding and export restrictions were put in place, now my friend always places the restrictions anyway but felt a bit uncomfortable being told what to do by the stud dog owner. Could there be any come back if the bitch owner decided she wanted to keep a pup for breeding herself?

It's not me by the way But a dog we had used 4 years ago.

Forgot to say: the stud dog owner wanted her to sign a contract stating all restrictions would be in place, but wouldn't give a reason why.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
No he could be castrated, as long as you inform the KC a neutered dog can be shown. He'll only be neutered if his nads start causing him problems, however.

Murphy has been placed (2 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd) even though he was neutered... I know that we'd probably never make a 1st, but we only did it for fun anyway!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by westiebabe View Post
Am I right in thinking that you would not be able to neuter the puppy if you wanted to carry on showing if he does well as the KC will only let you enter neutered dogs into competitions that have been bred from and there is a restriction on this on your KC papers?
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd;1804155[B
]No he could be castrated, as long as you inform the KC a neutered dog can be shown.[/B] He'll only be neutered if his nads start causing him problems, however.
Yes, neutered dogs can be shown but if you are showing at championship level, be aware you will more than likely be ever looked.

For a unknown dog pup to compete at championship level , and be place above intact males will still be very few on the ground.

On the other hand a dog that has already been shown , and does well , then has to be castrated for a medical reason, it will have more of a chance of still being placed.

Companion shows may be different, it will all depend on the judge , and how serious they take it.

But nothing stopping you showing a castrated pup/dog at championship level, as long as you are aware ,why you are being overlooked..

But never say never, its all about the fun, or its supposed to be!!

Spayed bitches on the other hand, are a lot earier to hide
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Mo
No she's not attempted that. She's accepted the situation & is just relieved he's a reasonable dog & won't disgrace her affix in the ring.
AS for the stud dog owner & restrictions, I'd only agree if he agreed I had the right to lift any restrictions if all tests were done & satisfactory & I considered the dog worthy of lifting them.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes, neutered dogs can be shown but if you are showing at championship level, be aware you will more than likely be ever looked.

For a unknown dog pup to compete at championship level , and be place above intact males will still be very few on the ground.

On the other hand a dog that has already been shown , and does well , then has to be castrated for a medical reason, it will have more of a chance of still being placed.

Companion shows may be different, it will all depend on the judge , and how serious they take it.

But nothing stopping you showing a castrated pup/dog at championship level, as long as you are aware ,why you are being overlooked..

But never say never, its all about the fun, or its supposed to be!!

Spayed bitches on the other hand, are a lot earier to hide
as far as I am aware the KC will only allow then to be shown if they are castrated to prevent breeding, not because of a medical condition?

rules No act or operation which alters the natural conformation of a dog or anypart thereof may be preformed except:
(a) Operations certified to the satisfaction of the General Committee.
(b) The removal of dewclaws in any breed.
(c) Operations to prevent breeding provided that such operations are notified to the Kennel Club before neutered dogs are shown.
Nor must any be done calculated in the opinion of the General Committee to deceive.

edited to add it may I suppose come under (a)

Mo
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2009, 01:08 PM
as far as I am aware the KC will only allow then to be shown if they are castrated to prevent breeding, not because of a medical condition?
Mo
it does come under exclusion (a) - one of my boys had to be castrated just after I'd made him up because of a tumour in one of his testes, we submitted a letter to the KC and were given permission to keep showing him.

Going back to the original quesion, in the eyes of the law, when you buy a puppy it's no different from buying say a fridge, what you do with it after purchase is entirely up to you as the owner. Ok, so if it's got restrictions on the registration papers then you can't register a litter with the KC (which of course doesn't stop you breeding and not registering puppies) and prevents you from obtaining an export pedigree (but again you can still take your dog with you when you move abroad or you can sell it abroad, you just can't show it or register offspring)

So far as contracts are concerned, there have been a couple taken through the small claims court, but have found to be invalid - mainly though the fact they are deemed unreasonable.

However, as a caveat to that, if your contract seeks to impose a financial penalty - ie rather than saying you agree to return the dog to the breeder if for what ever reason you can't keep it, it says that should you pass on the dog without notifying the breeder and giving them the chance to take it back then a financial penalty will be due to the breeder - then there is a real chance of this holding up in the small claims court.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >