Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have to say I would stand next to spot to complain about the use of animals at circus'.

As for the protests at Crufts...I think it is appalling that things like egg throwing are even a possibility. So called animal lovers doing that.
Yes...there are some bad breeders and they wil;l be exhibiting at Crufts...and some will leave their dogs benched on their own for most of the day. BUT there are also some exceptionally good breeders/owners who see it as a day out with their dogs who will picnic by their dogs bench and not leave their dogs side. How will such protesters differentiate?
The trouble is , it is not the exhibitors who choose to leave their dogs on benches all day ..whether they stay with them or not.

The rules of Crufts is ... you cannot remove any dog till 4pm... to satisfy the puplic.

On any other dog show, you are allowed to leave with your dog as soon as you finish showing...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The trouble is , it is not the exhibitors who choose to leave their dogs on benches all day ..whether they stay with them or not.

The rules of Crufts is ... you cannot remove any dog till 4pm... to satisfy the puplic.

On any other dog show, you are allowed to leave with your dog as soon as you finish showing...
No I know that people can't leave...but I saw some people who had brought little chairs and flasks and sandwiches and who stayed with their dogs all the time and had a dog day out.... I then saw the opposite of that....people who benched their dogs and left them so they could go watch what was going on and chat to people....
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Most people stay by their dogs...if not directly in front of the bench then within sight of it.However everyone needs to eat and use the loo.
I'm lucky in that I take people with me and we take it in turns but other people have to go on their own
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Glad to hear your not going to be pelting people with eggs.
Well if I ever did they would be free range

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have to say I would stand next to spot to complain about the use of animals at circus'.
This is getting very spooky now!

Ok you bring the sausage butties (veggie of course) and I'll bring the flask Oh and help me with the spelling for the banners
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Most people stay by their dogs...if not directly in front of the bench then within sight of it.However everyone needs to eat and use the loo.
I'm lucky in that I take people with me and we take it in turns but other people have to go on their own
I also think , that as you say, people look out for others also.

If you wish to do a little shopping, leaving your dog on the bench is a much better option that trying to negotiate the crowds with your dogs.

There will usually be someone keeping an eye on other peoples dogs while they are away from the bench.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Jackbox;1619188]If you wish to do a little shopping, leaving your dog on the bench is a much better option that trying to negotiate the crowds with your dogs.

QUOTE]

I would never again try to walk a dog round crufts.It is very upseting for the dog as they get pushed and shoved and squashed.I have found the GP very rude whenit comes to dogs at crufts as if they have no right to be anywhere exceptin the ring.The first year I was there a was walking my dog from the bench to the ring for his class and a woman swore at me(BLOODY DOGS!!!) because I asked her to 'excuse me' so I could get past
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I've been told that the protest is not just for the sunday, but for every day!
My daughter was meant to be going to show her min pin, it was to be the first time for her at crufts showing, but because of the risk from protesters and her owning such a little dog, i've told I do not want her to go! It's a shame because she's only 14 and has worked her lil butt off at ringcraft and at the shows and was so pleased when she qualified him for crufts, but to me its not worth the risk..
Besides theres plenty more years ahead for her to get to crufts, and another years showing and training is only going to improve her handling and confidence
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I've been told that the protest is not just for the sunday, but for every day!
My daughter was meant to be going to show her min pin, it was to be the first time for her at crufts showing, but because of the risk from protesters and her owning such a little dog, i've told I do not want her to go! It's a shame because she's only 14 and has worked her lil butt off at ringcraft and at the shows and was so pleased when she qualified him for crufts, but to me its not worth the risk..
Besides theres plenty more years ahead for her to get to crufts, and another years showing and training is only going to improve her handling and confidence
awe, thats such a shame, But I understand your concerns as a parent.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Well if I ever did they would be free range

This is getting very spooky now!

Ok you bring the sausage butties (veggie of course) and I'll bring the flask Oh and help me with the spelling for the banners
Okey dokey!!!
I also think , that as you say, people look out for others also.

If you wish to do a little shopping, leaving your dog on the bench is a much better option that trying to negotiate the crowds with your dogs.

There will usually be someone keeping an eye on other peoples dogs while they are away from the bench.
Hmmmmm. I have to say, what comes first, the dog or the shoping??? I appreciate people need to pee and eat...and some people do go on their own but I'm sure they have friends around that can look after the dog for 5 minutes. I have to say though (not that I show) I wouldn't leave my dog on a bench whilst I went to shop...nor would I take my dog around.....
[QUOTE=Archer;1619241]

QUOTE]

I would never again try to walk a dog round crufts.It is very upseting for the dog as they get pushed and shoved and squashed.I have found the GP very rude whenit comes to dogs at crufts as if they have no right to be anywhere exceptin the ring.The first year I was there a was walking my dog from the bench to the ring for his class and a woman swore at me(BLOODY DOGS!!!) because I asked her to 'excuse me' so I could get past
Exactly. I do have to say Crufts is one of the most dog unfriendly places I have been to. I saw a working Guide Dog get shoved out of the way of the crowd at one point.

Given it's dog unfriendliness, aside from peeing...surely owners should stay with their dogs?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I go to shows on my own and take two dogs, and I can't be in two places at once.

I never shop at Crufts its just a nightmare, I wouldn't even attempt to take the dogs with me, but I do sometimes like to see friends in different breeds, I will give that a miss this year.

I am taking padlocks and crate covers and a change of clothes which I normally do anyway, our ring is usually adjacent to the benches so I can see the bench most of the time.

Its a shame that a few misguided people are spoiling it for others, I am fully expecting that there will be some of these activists to be coming in as ordinary members of the public on days other than Sunday. If they truly cared about the dogs they wouldn't be putting them in a position where they could come to harm.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >